Audio By Carbonatix
At least 14 pupils have been killed in a stampede at a primary school in western Kenya, officials say.
The crush happened at Kakamega Primary School, north-west of the capital Nairobi, on Monday afternoon.
Reports say children were leaving classes for home at about 17:00 local time (14:00 GMT) when the stampede took place.
Education minister George Magoha confirmed the 14 deaths to local media.
"The loss of a child is very painful. My condolences to parents who have lost their children," Mr Magoha told Citizen TV.
Nearly 40 other students were injured - some critically - and taken to hospital, reports say. Some of them were released after receiving treatment.
The cause of the stampede is not yet clear. But Kakamega police commander David Kabena told local media an investigation had been launched.
Police have launched an investigation into the stampede at Kakamega Primary School
Some reports said the students had rushed down a narrow staircase at the end of the school day. The staircase is said to have collapsed.
The Daily Nation newspaper said some of the children fell from the third-floor of the building as they ran.
Videos posted to social media showed crowds of people gathered outside a hospital where children were being treated.
On Twitter, Kenya Red Cross said it was supporting emergency services after the "fatal stampede".
Kenya's education ministry offered condolences to the families and friends of those who had died.
Correspondents say the incident may raise questions about the safety of children in Kenya's schools.
Raila Odinga, Kenya's former prime minister, called for a swift investigation to "get to the bottom of this incident".
I
In September last year eight pupils died and 69 were injured when a classroom collapsed at a primary school in Nairobi.
Several days later, Kenya's education ministry closed St Catherine's Children Education Centre Bombolulu, near Nairobi, due to safety concerns.
"This is just a start and we are going to crack down on all schools in the country with poor structures," Mr Magoha said at the time.
Police have launched an investigation into the stampede at Kakamega Primary School
Some reports said the students had rushed down a narrow staircase at the end of the school day. The staircase is said to have collapsed.
The Daily Nation newspaper said some of the children fell from the third-floor of the building as they ran.
Videos posted to social media showed crowds of people gathered outside a hospital where children were being treated.
On Twitter, Kenya Red Cross said it was supporting emergency services after the "fatal stampede".
Kenya's education ministry offered condolences to the families and friends of those who had died.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
48 minutes -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
51 minutes -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
57 minutes -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
1 hour -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
1 hour -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
1 hour -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
1 hour -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
4 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General SuperintendentÂ
4 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
4 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
4 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
4 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
4 hours