Audio By Carbonatix
Kenyan President William Ruto chose Interior Minister Kithure Kindiki as his new deputy on Friday, but a court blocked his appointment until it hears a case next week challenging the impeachment of Kindiki's predecessor.
The high court's intervention came after lawmakers had already approved Kindiki's appointment on Friday. It extends a period of political turmoil in the East African country that started with mass protests against unpopular tax hikes in June.
The Senate vote on Thursday to uphold impeachment charges against Ruto's previous deputy, Rigathi Gachagua, marked the first time that a Kenyan deputy president had been removed from office by impeachment.
In an order, the high court in the capital Nairobi said Kindiki's appointment as deputy president and the Senate's resolution upholding impeachment charges against Gachagua were suspended until Oct. 24, when a bench of judges appointed by the chief justice will debate the issue.
A second court order said Kindiki cannot assume office until the case is heard.
Gachagua was impeached on five out of 11 charges including gross violation of the constitution and stirring ethnic hatred - accusations that he denied and dismissed as politically motivated.
Kindiki was a top contender to be Ruto's running mate during the 2022 election and was appointed interior minister shortly after the president took office in September that year.
The interior ministry includes oversight of the police. Rights groups have accused the police of using excessive force during the nationwide protests earlier this year that called for the withdrawal of a now-shelved finance law and reforms to tackle corruption.
During an appearance before parliament in September, Kindiki said police acted within the law and that the government did not engage in extrajudicial killings or abductions.
Gachagua helped Ruto secure a large block of votes from the populous central Kenya region during the 2022 election. But in recent months, he has spoken of being sidelined, amid widespread reports in local media signalling a rift with Ruto as political alliances shifted.
Gachagua, who was hospitalised and absent during the Senate vote to dismiss him, filed a petition on Friday seeking to stop Ruto from naming his replacement pending a judicial hearing, a court filing showed.
The 59-year-old politician has filed or is a party to several cases challenging the impeachment process.
Latest Stories
-
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
49 minutes -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
52 minutes -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
58 minutes -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
1 hour -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
1 hour -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
1 hour -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
1 hour -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
4 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
4 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
4 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
4 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
4 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
4 hours