The Greater Accra Regional Health Directorate has cautioned the public on the potential outbreak of cholera and other infectious diseases in the Region.
The Directorate said with the onset of the rains coupled with poor sanitary conditions and other prevailing circumstances, it was likely to experience these occurrences.
It has therefore advised the public to adopt certain preventive measures and precautions to reduce the menace and protect themselves against the disease.
A statement signed by the Greater Accra Regional Director of Health Service, Dr (Mrs) Charity Sarpong, said in order to prevent these diseases the public should adhere to maintaining food and water safety by drinking safe water, washing fruits and vegetables well before eating.
They should also cover food always, eating food that was served hot and free from dust, flies and dirt.
She said piped water sources and sachet may not be safe for drinking and should be boiled.
According to the statement, the public should always wash hands with soap under safe running water after using the toilet, before eating or preparing food, before feeding a baby, before serving meals and after taking care of sick persons.
The statement said cholera could be prevented by keeping the environment clean by not defecating in the open rather use toilet facility, clean toilet and surfaces contaminated with faeces with disinfectant and keep uncollected rubbish covered.
The statement said persons who showed symptoms of diarrhoea should start taking Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) immediately or report immediately to a nearby facility for treatment.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- DR Congo: WHO declares Ebola outbreak global health emergency
- Lifestyle with Sakwaba: Love corner: Is what you’re feeling love or infatuation?
- How many bananas are enough?
- UG School of Nursing and Midwifery gets first substantive Dean
- Conjoined twin girls separated after 50 hours of surgery
- Mona by Nehita: Luxury jewellery line, launches in Ghana
- Abandoned hospital projects at Fomena, Kumawu to be completed this year - Minister
- Is it possible to stay sexually attracted to your spouse for life?
- Africa's largest solar powered project for a hospital commissioned at FOCOS Hospital
- Lady Adelaide Heward-Mills believes in privacy after marriage
- Esther Cobbah’s nuggets on how to deal with the unexpected in marriage
- Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Bespoke Ruby’s Bridal gowns at affordable prices
- 2019 Beauty and Bridal Fair:The most affordable price for your rings at The Nazarene
- 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: 9Twenty5 bead accessories for your wedding
- Photos from Day 3 of Joy FM's Beauty and Bridal Fair