Archaeologists in Egypt say they’ve made one of the most important discoveries in decades.
They have found one of the four lost sun temples built by the pharaohs while they were still alive in an attempt to turn themselves into living gods.
It is believed that only six sun temples were built by Egyptian pharaohs some 4,500 years ago.
Just two of them have been unearthed so far, so archaeologists are describing the discovery of a third such structure as the biggest find for 50 years.
It stands in the Abu Gorab site south of Cairo and it would have featured a large courtyard with a tall obelisk inside it that was perfectly aligned with the east-west arc of the sun.
Whilst the enormous pyramids were designed to ensure the pharaoh’s status as a god in the afterlife, the sun temples were smaller structures and were meant to enshrine them as living gods.
This means they may well have been cheaper and more effective at ensuring a pharaoh’s divinity.
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 2 more people
- Halt operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Lands Ministry tells Chairman ‘Wontumi”s mining company
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Whip
- Police confirm another murder orchestrated by Mankessim suspects
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- State TV off-air amid gunfire in Burkina Faso
- SIM re-registration: “Eat your humble pie” – Sam George tells Ursula Owusu
- Video of alleged ‘galamsey’ men in gun battle with authorities emerges on social media
- Good Morning America celebrates Ghana as host Robin Roberts explores the country
- Banking sector crisis was not systemic – Alhassan Andani
- Insecurity, self-doubt and fear nearly crushed my dreams but I triumphed – UPSA Law School valedictorian
- I won’t think twice about a Ghana call-up – Salis Abdul Samed
- Directive for Chairman Wontumi’s mining firm to stop work not enough, A-G must step in – OccupyGhana
- Ibrahim Gusau elected Nigeria Football Federation president
- Ghanaian footballer in the US dies in car crash
- Sadiq Abdulai Abu resigns as CEO of 3Music Networks
- I didn’t do music for fame, I wanted to inspire people – Zahara
- 1972 year group of Opoku Ware School refurbishes assembly hall
- Support Kirani Ayat amid copyright infringement allegations against GTA – Trigmatic tells creatives
- Hosts Ghana clash with Nigeria in MEA Rugby League Championship final
- BoG must review policy rate increases; economy not responding –Alhassan Andani
- There is no blueprint and formula for identifying football talents in Ghana – Faisal Chibsah
- Prosecution is an attempt to tarnish his reputation – Danadams Pharmaceuticals CEO lawyers
- Thomas Partey included in Arsenal squad to face Tottenham Hotspur
- Woman kills former landlord with hammer, steals $40k through forged checks