Audio By Carbonatix
The Majority Leader, Osei Kyei Mensa Bonsu has accused the media of misconstruing his comments on MPs and staff of Parliament who have tested positive for Covid-19.
His accusation comes after he lamented over failure of the affected persons to self-isolate last week Friday.
But interacting with the media on Thursday, the Suame MP indicated that reports which suggested he had knowledge of the identity of those who had contracted the disease in the House were inaccurate.
According to him, he was just relaying what he had been told about one of such cases showing up in parliament and mingling with others after the person had been ordered to stay home.
“I don’t know if it is deliberate [on the side of the media], but the statement I made last Friday, did not in any way suggest that Members of Parliament have tested positive.
“I am surprised that you the journalist who heard me, went out there and misrepresented what I said and it is not right,” he stressed.
Clarifying his previous statement, Mr Mensa Bonsu said he was reiterating the order of individuals who had tested positive to stay home.
“I see all of us here as a family, be it MPs, journalists, staff of parliament, National Service persons, research officers, security officers.
“So I put all of us in one basket and said information reaching me is that some people in the ‘family’ have tested positive and are still coming to the Parliament.”
This, he said was troubling and needed to be addressed that is why he spoke about it.
Touching on calls for a third mass testing in Parliament, the Majority leader was unsure when it will be carried out.
He indicated that that will be a decision for the Speaker and the Parliament doctor to take.
Latest Stories
-
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
11 minutes -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
12 minutes -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
20 minutes -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
21 minutes -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
33 minutes -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
35 minutes -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
47 minutes -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
55 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
56 minutes -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
57 minutes -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
58 minutes -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
1 hour -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
1 hour -
Ghana Card is a critical national asset – Interior Minister
2 hours