Mali’s ex-President Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta, who was ousted in a coup last month, has left the country.
Mr Keïta, 75, flew to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Saturday for medical treatment after suffering a minor stroke, military officials said.
The junta is currently in talks with opposition and civil society groups about a transition to civilian rule.
It says it will step down in two years, but West African leaders want a quicker transfer of power.
Mr Keïta was overthrown on 18 August following mass protests against his rule over corruption, the mismanagement of the economy and a dispute over legislative elections.
The coup sparked international condemnation, but it was welcomed by many Malians. Mr Keïta was detained by the military, but later freed.
‘Regional deal over departure’
On Thursday, he left a hospital in the capital, Bamako, after a two-day stay during which he was treated for a minor stroke, AFP news agency reported.
His former chief of staff said he could be away for up to15 days.
Ex-president flies to UAE following Mali coup https://t.co/fA6gqNghYg— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) September 6, 2020
Mr Keïta left for the UAE capital, Abu Dhabi, after representatives of the regional body, the Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas), and the United Nations (UN) held talks with the coup leaders, BBC West Africa reporter Seydina Alioune Djigo says.
Ecowas gave an undertaking to the junta that Mr Keïta would return if he is wanted for any crimes allegedly committed during his seven-year rule, our reporter adds.
It is the fourth coup in the West African state since it gained independence from France in 1960.
A coup in 2012 led to militant Islamists exploiting the instability to seize territory in northern Mali.French troops helped regain territory, but attacks continue.On Saturday, two French soldiers fighting the militants in northern Mali were killed and a third was wounded after a roadside bomb destroyed their armoured vehicle.In paying tribute to the soldiers, French President Emmanuel Macron repeated his call for a swift transition to civilian rule in Mali.
More about Mali’s battle against jihadis
The coup leaders have promised to respect international agreements on fighting jihadists.
Thousands of French, African and UN troops are based in the country to tackle the militants.
Meanwhile, more than 500 representatives of Malian opposition and civil society groups are holding talks with the junta in Bamako to discuss the transition to civilian rule.
“Since August 18, we are charting a new history for our country,” junta number two Malick Diaw told the opening session, AFP reported.
The talks are scheduled to continue until 12 September.
- I will fail my ministry if I fail to be the best mum – Adwoa Safo
- Exclusive: Adwoa Safo speaks on family, NPP, absence from Parliament
- ‘I will never do that, I did not come to this country to do that’ – Education Minister denies misapplying $1.2 million
- Come and account for Covid-19 expenditure – Bagbin directs Ofori-Atta
- Osinachi’s husband charged with homicide
- I will return when issues with family are resolved – Adwoa Safo
- Today’s front pages: Friday, May 27, 2022
- Privileges Committee fails to meet Henry Quartey
- GES did not undertake $1.2 million ‘phantom’ training under my watch – Matthew Opoku Prempeh
- Special Prosecutor commences investigations into aspects of Sir John’s will
‘Any politician looting state properties is a disgrace to our democracy’ – Sam George
Government ready to improve automobile policy based on input of industry players – Akufo-Addo
One dead after armed men attack gold dealer’s shop at Enyinam on Accra-Kumasi highway
Covid-19 has repurposed HR’s role and renewed focus on employees – Vodafone HR Director
Bomso Basic Schools get 2-month free sanitary pad from Lady Pharmacists Association of Ghana
WHO sees no reason for alarm over monkeypox
Bagbin and Annor-Dompreh disagree over claims Parliament is broke
Football action in GPL and UCL reaches final
Number 12: Sannie Daara cleared off wrongdoing, GFA directed to re-appoint him
Private sector in Africa should lead the charge for sustainable economic development – CEO of The Tony Elumelu Foundation
GNAT engages National Security on ‘See Something, Say Something’ anti-terrorism campaign
Actor Morgan Freeman permanently banned from entering Russia
Return or resign – Dome-Kwabenya constituents to Adwoa Safo
Latif Abubakar tackles child labour, trafficking with Christmas-In-May
Revive once vibrant town council for a better, clean environment – Volta NADMO Boss urges