Former CEO of Graphic Communications Group, Dr Ibrahim Mohammed Awal, has been appointed as Minister Designate for Tourism, Creative Arts and Culture.
He was moved from the Business Development Ministry which he had been heading since 2017 to the Tourism Ministry.
He is replacing Barbara Oteng Gyasi who had previously occupied the position for nearly two years.
Prior to his appointment some Creative Arts industry players had suggested he will be a best fit for the role.
Speaking on Showbiz A-Z CEO of 3Music Sadiq Abdulai Abu had highlighted Mr Mohammed’s connection to the art as a strong suit.
Artiste manager George Britton also advocated for Dr Mohammed Awal with as Minister.
He explained that he has observed Dr Awal’s impact in the Business Development Ministry and believes he is the best person to help transform the industry.
However, others were hoping President of the Art Council Mark Okraku Mantey or CEO of the Ghana Tourism Authority Akwasi Agyemang should have the position.
Entertainment pundit Jesse Agyepong stated that beyond the position, whoever takes up the role should have the drive and business acumen to harness the potential of the people in the sector.
“I would hope that we have a Ministry that has one minister and two deputies. I am recommending a deputy in charge of the creative art sector and another in charge of Tourism and Culture.”
“We need a minister who is excel sheet oriented, who knows how to check the global funds moving around for tourism, who knows how to go to Dubai sign a deal and come back, who won’t sit at home.”
- Sam George: Lack of bed and ambulance led to death of a 12-year-old
- Emotional Stephen Appiah tears up talking about son Rodney
- Chinese busted for mining at River Pra by military task force
- Abdul Malik Kweku Baako: The delayed disclosure of physical torture on Caleb Kudah
- Israel strike in Gaza destroys building with AP, other media
- Playback: Newsfile discusses alleged assault on Citi FM journalists, Otumfuo joins ‘galamsey’ fight
- US to deepen bilateral relationship with Ghana as United Airlines recommences flights to KIA
- Freedom of the press does not translate into safety of journalists – Prof. Gadzekpo tells media owners
- GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 25
- We have $200m for you to borrow – ECOWAS Bank to governments, businesses
Spotify founder Daniel Ek says Arsenal bid has been rejected
Italian Open: Rafael Nadal to play Novak Djokovic in Rome final
GPL: WAFA deepen Legon Cities’ relegation woes
Leicester win FA Cup for the first time after last-gap Chelsea equaliser ruled out
Investigating assault on Caleb Kudah: I don’t trust National Security – Ken Ashigbey
Juventus edge Inter Milan in thriller to keep Champions League hopes alive
Lewandowski equals Muller’s Bundesliga goals record in Bayern draw
Zlatan Ibrahimovic ruled out of Euro 2020 with knee injury
Disband National Security Ministry- Samson Lardy Anyenini
I stopped being a member of GJA because of its President – Manasseh Azure
Asantehene’s involvement in galamsey fight a big impetus – Abu Jinapor
Arrest of Citi FM Journalists: National Security boss should be held to account – Audrey Gadzekpo
We need to guard against religious chauvinism – Harruna Iddrisu
Investigative Journalism is becoming scarier – Manasseh Azure
NCCE Director calls on Ghanaians to respect each other