Black Stars midfielder, Mohammed Kudus, was awarded the Sports Personality of the Year at the 47th Sports Writers Association of Ghana (SWAG) Awards on Saturday, January 28.
Kudus was named the winner of the event which took place at the Accra International Conference Centre.
The Ajax star was honoured for his performances for both his club and national team in 2022 which included scoring twice at the FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
The 22-year-old beat competition from 200m national record-holder, Joseph Paul Amoah Abraham Mensah, who both won bronze medal at last year’s Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
Kudus did exploit with his club side, Ajax and the Black Stars of Ghana, as he topped the charts as one of the fastest-growing young footballers in the world.
In athletics, Joseph Paul Amoah won Ghana’s medal in the 200-meter race at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, the first by the country since George Daniels did in 1974.
For his efforts, Joe Paul won the SWAG Male Athlete of the Year, beating Benjamin Azamati to the prize.
Mensah, who also won a silver medal in the Bantamweight division at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, won the prize for the Amateur Boxer of the Year at the awards ceremony.
Kudus also took home Foreign-based Footballer of the Year award, winning the category ahead of Arsenal’s Thomas Partey and Black Stars captain, Andre Ayew.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government
- GOIL supports Appiatse Disaster Fund