Audio By Carbonatix
Flooding killed 31 residents at a care home for elderly people on the outskirts of Beijing this week, local officials have said.
Footage showed emergency teams wading through chest-high water trying to rescue those trapped in the home in the Miyun District. Many of those who died were reportedly immobile.
Local officials have admitted there were "loopholes in emergency planning" and said the incident was a painful lesson that served as "a wake-up call".
A total of 44 people have died in the Beijing floods, which have come during a summer of extreme weather across China. Record heatwaves hit the eastern regions earlier this month while separate floods swept the country's south-west.
About 77 elderly residents were inside the home when the floods hit, trapping about 40 of them as water levels rose to almost 2m (6ft), according to Chinese media.
The facility - situated in Taishitun Town - primarily cares for those who are severely disabled, low-income, or receiving minimal living allowances, local media reports.
"For a long time, the central area of the town where the nursing home is located had been considered safe, so it was not included in the evacuation scope of the plan," a Chinese official said at a press conference on Thursday.
"This reveals that there are loopholes in our emergency planning. Our understanding of extreme weather has been insufficient, and this painful lesson has served as a wake-up call."
In nearby Hebei province, 16 people died as a result of extreme rainfall, officials said. In the city of Chengde, eight were killed, with 18 still unaccounted for.
Beijing is no stranger to flooding, particularly in the summer months. One of the deadliest in recent memory occurred in July 2012, when 190mm of rain drenched the city in a day, killing 79 people.
This summer, floods have wreaked havoc across swathes of China.
Two people were killed and 10 people went missing in Shandong province earlier this month when Typhoon Wipha struck eastern China. Two weeks earlier, a landslide killed three people in Ya'an city, in the country's south-west.
Extreme weather, which experts link to climate change, has increasingly threatened China's residents and economy - especially its trillion-dollar agriculture sector.
Natural disasters in the first half of the year have cost China 54.11 billion yuan ($7.5bn; ÂŁ5.7bn), its emergency management ministry said earlier this month. Flooding accounted for more than 90% of the losses, it added.
Latest Stories
-
Kenyan court rules parts of law criminalising consensual sex between adolescents invalid
11 minutes -
I brag to my colleagues about being a graduate – Davido
20 minutes -
I used to run to Don Jazzy’s room to cry during hard times – Tiwa Savage
30 minutes -
Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Tems and Burna Boy nominated for 2026 BET Awards
40 minutes -
Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
50 minutes -
At Cannes, Almodovar says artists have duty to speak out against ‘monsters’ like Trump
59 minutes -
As cocoa prices melt down, real chocolate is making a comeback
1 hour -
UK agrees ÂŁ3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states
1 hour -
SpaceX aims for 10,000 annual launches within five years, FAA says
2 hours -
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
3 hours -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
4 hours -
TikTok and YouTube ‘not safe enough’ for kids, says Ofcom
4 hours -
Samsung strike on hold – but the fight isn’t over yet. Why?
4 hours -
US charges Cuba’s RaĂşl Castro with murder over 1996 downing of two planes
4 hours -
A time will come they must step aside – Kwakye Ofosu warns ambitious appointees
4 hours