Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament for Mpraeso, Davis Ansah Opoku, has urged the government to pause the proposed merger of AT Ghana and Telecel, warning that the move risks entrenching inefficiency and further strengthening MTN’s dominance in the telecom sector.
Mr. Opoku, who previously welcomed the government’s efforts to rebalance the market, said a stronger alternative is now on the table and must be fully considered before any merger.
According to him, a Canadian multinational Rektron Group has submitted proof of 150 million US dollars to KPMG, the government-appointed transaction advisor, to acquire a majority stake in AT Ghana.
The company’s proposal includes clearing AT’s debts, recapitalising its operations, modernising networks, and fast-tracking the rollout of 4G and 5G services.
“This is a credible investment that can restore competition and rebuild confidence in our telecom sector,” the MP said. “Rushing into a merger of two fragile operators, while ignoring a well-funded investor with a clear plan, risks repeating the mistakes of expedience.”
Mr. Opoku also raised concerns about ongoing talks between the government and MTN regarding 5G deployment, despite the Next-Gen Infrastructure Company (NGIC) holding a ten-year exclusive nationwide licence.
He warned that allowing parallel arrangements could create regulatory confusion, undermine trust in government policy, and weaken competition.
He called on the government to put transparency and due process first by subjecting the Rektron investment and the AT–Telecel merger to open scrutiny.
“Parliament and the public deserve clarity on which option best protects taxpayer funds, creates fair competition, and ensures affordable and reliable service for Ghanaians,” he added.
The lawmaker stressed that Ghana’s digital transformation depends on addressing the root causes of market imbalance and enforcing regulatory frameworks.
“Strengthening the regulator’s authority and ensuring adherence to licensing agreements are key to reducing MTN’s dominance and safeguarding the future of our telecom sector,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
7 minutes -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
16 minutes -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
34 minutes -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
42 minutes -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
46 minutes -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
48 minutes -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
51 minutes -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
55 minutes -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
58 minutes -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
1 hour -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, calls for urgent environmental action
1 hour -
TMA holds first ordinary meeting, discusses development, challenges, progress
1 hour -
PAC calls for closure of livestock market near the national mosque
1 hour -
Security agencies don’t need my permission to arrest you – Speaker Bagbin to MPs
1 hour -
Ghana and Togo strengthen cooperation on security, trade and regional development
1 hour