Some supporters of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) have massed up on the stretch leading to the Electoral Commission (EC) headquarters over suspicion of plans to rig the election in favour of the New Patriotic Party (NPP).
The angry group is seen chanting war songs and hoisting placards to express their displeasure.
This comes moments after JoyNews projected that President Akufo-Addo will retain the presidential seat for the next four years.
The agitated supporters then decided to storm the EC headquarters at Ridge to charge the Chairperson, Jean Mensa to be fair in her decision ahead of the declaration today.
Speaking to JoyNews’ Kwesi Parker-Wilson, the supporters accused the EC of conniving with NPP to call the presidential elections for President Akufo-Addo.
“The Electoral Commission promised that it will declare the election in 24 hours but now they have decided to extend it so that they can change some figures,” a supporter said.
Earlier today, a Member of the NDC at the EC’s National Collation Centre, Dr Michael Kpessa-Whyte told JoyNews, some results coming in from the Ashanti Region were plagued with discrepancies that have the propensity to unfairly tilt the results towards the NPP.
“The figure that we have been presented with here is about 1.97 million votes as opposed to what we are seeing from all the pick sheets that we have collated from that region which is around 1.4 million,” Dr Kpessa-Whyte said.
Some of the agitated supporters share similar sentiments.
Meanwhile, security personnel have been deployed to the area to enforce law and order.
The security service including the military have cordoned the area with barricades and are seen engaging the agitated supporters to exit the area.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- IMF bailout to depend on government’s ability to achieve 55% of debt to GDP – Fitch
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- Shatta Wale gives conditions for return to VGMA
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- AG Dame dialogues with UK Deputy PM over criminal justice reform
- Immigration fuels Canada’s largest population growth of over 1 million
- Walking barefoot improves menstrual flow, eyesight, sleep, hypertension, pain, and inflammation
- Jay Bahd is bigger than the ‘Best New Artist’ category – DJ Slim
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Gisele Bundchen says Tom Brady divorce was ‘death of my dream’
- Akufo-Addo’s appointments of NPP activists to EC require amendment of Article 43 – Mahama
- ICC concerned by Russia’s ‘threats’ over Putin warrant
- Why is everyone wearing these cartoonish red boots?
- Ken Ofori-Atta leads delegation to start debt restructuring talks with China
- BBC advises staff to delete TikTok from work phones
- Volta ECG reconnects Ho Airport, GRA, others after payments
- Explicitly state your opposition to scrapping of ex-gratia – Mahama tells NPP
- I still believe Ghana can be managed with 60 ministers – Mahama
- South Africa to consult Russia over Putin’s arrest warrant