Audio By Carbonatix
The Democratic Republic of Congo said on Wednesday that suspected Ebola cases had been reported in a new province, highlighting the expansion of the ongoing outbreak as deaths hit 600.
The outbreak, declared on May 15, has so far infected 1,759 people across the eastern provinces of Ituri, North Kivu and South Kivu, according to the government's latest situation report published Wednesday night.
But that case total does not include two cases in Kisangani, the capital of Tshopo province and one of Congo's biggest cities, the situation report said.
One of those cases is linked to the health zone of Niania in Ituri province, where the first cases were reported. But the second case "does not appear to have a geographic link" beyond Kisangani, it said.
The positive test results are in the process of being validated by confirmatory testing, after which they will be included in the official case total, it said.
Response teams have in the meantime begun strengthening surveillance, contact tracing and other containment measures in Kisangani, it said.
Reuters reported last week that Congolese health authorities were tracing people potentially exposed to Ebola in two provinces not previously affected by the outbreak: Tshopo and Haut-Uele.
The situation report published late Wednesday documented 51 new cases and 20 new deaths in the previous 24 hours.
The World Health Organisation said this week that the outbreak had not yet stabilised and was still expanding as population movement fuelled transmission.
Latest Stories
-
Harvard appoints former BoG Governor Ernest Addison as senior research fellow
33 seconds -
Sammy Gyamfi warns youth exclusion could threaten mining’s social licence
1 minute -
Mining communities must not be left without social amenities – Sammy Gyamfi
6 minutes -
National Mining Dialogue 2026: We must remain independent in reporting on mining — GJA President
13 minutes -
Social licence must be reimagined as a development compact with the youth – Sammy Gyamfi
15 minutes -
Give indigenous landowners control to curb irresponsible mining – Dr Nana Kwao Adarkwa
23 minutes -
Interior Minister urges religious leaders to protect Ghana’s tradition of tolerance
24 minutes -
In Pictures: Dignitaries, stakeholders gather for National Mining Dialogue 2026
31 minutes -
BoG inaugurates Financial Advisory Council to drive non-interest banking in Ghana
34 minutes -
Mineral right is a privilege, not an absolute right – Minerals Commission
34 minutes -
Ablakwa seeks Russian support for Africa-led fight against Sahel extremism
46 minutes -
Host mining communities are partners in development, not obstacles – GJA President
48 minutes -
Ghana to sign 5 new petroleum agreements soon – Energy Minister
48 minutes -
GJA President urges Ghana to weigh environmental and social costs alongside mining revenues
1 hour -
Irresponsible mining: The land is not your own – Prof Mike Oquaye cautions
1 hour