Seven suspected armed robbers were on Tuesday afternoon gunned down by a team of personnel from the Ashanti Regional Police SWAT Unit at Poano near Anhwiakwanta on the Kumasi-Obuasi road.
The gun-wielding robbers, believed to belong to a gang who killed the late Lance Corporal Daniel Tieku of the SWAT Unit, last week (June 11, 2018), in one of their operations, were said to have attempted to open fire on the police as they approached them.
However, they were outsmarted and the well-armed police, who had mounted surveillance on the robbers, shot and killed them in the process.
The blood-soaked bodies of the deceased have been sent to the morgue for autopsy.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP), Akwasi Mensah Duku, the Regional Police Commander, confirmed the incident to the media, saying, the issue was under investigations.
Two pump action guns and an AK 47 assault rifle, as well as a helmet, and other offensive weapons said to have been used by the gang had been retrieved from the crime scene, and currently, in the custody of the police.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ex-convict sent back to prison for stealing
- Retired army officer criticises presser on Canadian girls’ rescue
- Odumase police investigate alleged lynching of unidentified man
- 94-year-old World War II veteran gets high school diploma
- Spending time in nature boosts health, study finds
- ENA calls for gov’t support for persons living with albinism
- Kidnappers of Canadian women demanded $800k ransom
- Gun-toting primary 3 student released on bail for threatening headmaster
- Gov't to increase research funding for tertiary teachers
- Unemployed jailed 15 years for robbing MoMo merchant
- MPs aid strangers to breach security - Deputy Speaker
- Myjoyonline week in pictures: And the 2 Canadians were rescued!
- Kidnapped Canadians: Kenyasi-Achiase residents receives death threats
- Ghanaian, 2 Nigerians freed from Trinidad & Tobago jail - thanks to Akufo-Addo
- I took 15yrs to forgive God -Ebo Whyte recounts importance of fathers