A 26-year-old footballer has been sentenced to seven years imprisonment by an Accra Circuit Court for impregnating a 12-year-old girl at Teshie.
Derrick Tetteh, who did not have any legal representation pleaded guilty to the charge of defilement. The victim is currently six months pregnant.
The court presided over by Mrs Rita Abrokwah Doko convicted Tetteh on his own plea and sentenced him accordingly.
Prosecuting, Chief Inspector Kofi Atimbire told the court that the complainant in the matter is the victim‘s uncle.
He said Tetteh and the victim reside at different locations in Teshie. The Prosecution said during the month of June last year, Tetteh met the victim in the company of her sister and proposed love to her of which the victim ignorantly accepted.
Chief Inspector Atimbire said based on that Tetteh began having sex with the victim who later on became pregnant without knowing.
The Prosecution said the victim also started falling sick frequently, compelling the complainant to take her to the hospital for treatment.
He said during one of the visits to the hospital it came to light that the victim was 24 weeks (six months) pregnant. When the complainant asked the victim she mentioned Tetteh as her boyfriend and the one responsible for the pregnancy.
The Prosecution said the complainant reported the matter to the Domestic Violence and Victim’s Support Unit of the Ghana Police Service at Nungua where he was issued with a medical report form to send the victim to the hospital for further medical examination.
He said Tetteh was later arrested by the Police as soon as the medical report form was returned to them.
The Prosecution said during interrogation Tetteh admitted having sex with the victim but denied being responsible for the pregnancy.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax
- This company will confess to your crush if you’re too shy to do it yourself
- Karen Halm hosts students to celebrate Day of Women and Girls in Science
- Kasapreko and partners commission 400KWp solar plant
- EOCO, Police destroy unwholesome turkey at Kpone landfill site
- Police Commander was 'sidelined' in bloody by-election in his district
- Used ladies underwear, pads, hot cakes for money rituals
- NPA to collaborate with Navy to fight fuel smugglers
- Court punishes ICGC, Cross Road Ministries branches, over excessive noise-making
- EC received no briefing from police on operational plans – Jean Mensa reveals
- Short Commission’s day one sitting has given hope – Aning
- Akufo-Addo’s Lancing College recruits Ghanaian students
- New board of ECOWAS Brown Card scheme promises improved service
- Meet Maxwell: 23-year-od successful mango farmer