Audio By Carbonatix
Nigerian authorities confirmed Tuesday that a meningitis outbreak in the northwest was behind the death of at least 26 people over several weeks.
The spread of the disease in the state of Kebbi began late January with over 200 suspected cases recorded, the state commissioner for health, Musa Ismail, told reporters in Birnin Kebbi, the state capital.
Ismail also said medical supplies have already been dispatched to the affected areas, and isolation centers set up to prevent the further spread of the disease.
Sokoto, another state in the northwest and about 150 kilometers (90 miles) away from Kebbi, has urged residents to remain vigilant after several cases were suspected.
Sokoto state commissioner of health, Faruk Abubakar, said residents should take precautionary measures and seek immediate medical attention at the nearest health facility if they are experiencing symptoms such as high fever, stiff neck and severe headaches.
Meningitis, more common during the hot season in Nigeria, is a significant public health challenge in Africa’s most populous country that affects the protective membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord.
Additionally to this communicable disease, Nigeria is also battling malaria and has the highest burden in the world.
Nigeria previously received aid from the United States Agency for International Development to combat these diseases, but that support has recently been withdrawn.
Between 2022 and 2023, Nigeria, located in an area known as the African Meningitis Belt, recorded 2,765 suspected cases and 190 deaths, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2024, the World Health Organization said 153 people died in a similar outbreak.
The west African country is working to implement a roadmap approved by the World Health Assembly in November 2020 that aims to eradicate meningitis by 2030.
Nigeria has 36 states.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaians death toll in Burkina Faso terror attack now 8
4 minutes -
Ken Ashigbey demands probe into 14 containers of changfang machines
11 minutes -
The NDC doesn’t need a southerner or northerner
12 minutes -
NSA assures service personnel of allowance payments by week’s end
19 minutes -
Why COCOBOD’s pay cut is a band-aid on a gaping national wound
19 minutes -
We cannot stop cross-border trade but must protect our traders – Dumelo
22 minutes -
Port security lapses exposed in importation of illegal mining machines – Ashigbey
27 minutes -
One-week observance in honour of Yaw Sarpong slated for February 19
29 minutes -
Ntim Fordjour urges high-level Ghana-Burkina Faso talks after killing of 7 Ghanaians
38 minutes -
Nhyiaeso MP calls for research-backed approach to mandatory tree crop proposal policy
47 minutes -
The impact of expanding fishing limits on local trawlers at Tema fishing harbour
55 minutes -
From “obroni wawu” to “asaase bewu”: Connecting Ghana’s used clothing dilemma to climate change
59 minutes -
Galamsey: MMDCEs, public officials found culpable will be prosecuted—Lands Ministry
1 hour -
Lands Ministry begins stakeholder engagement on draft CREMA regulations
1 hour -
We’re a nation of talkers who react to issues and go back to sleep—Sissala East MP
1 hour
