Audio By Carbonatix
An Accra Circuit Court has remanded a Nigerian food vendor into police custody for allegedly trafficking two women from Togo to Ghana and forcing them into prostitution.
Gift Chinyere Aminu has been charged with conspiracy to commit crime, to wit human trafficking, and two counts of human trafficking.
She has pleaded not guilty. Her alleged accomplices, identified only as Jennifer and Blessing, are currently at large.
The court, presided over by Mrs. Sususa Eduful, refused bail after noting that Aminu resides in a kiosk at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle and, therefore, does not have a fixed place of abode, raising concerns that she may not return to stand trial if granted bail.
The prosecution, led by Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Issah Achiburi, said the case was referred to the Anti-Human Trafficking Unit of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) on October 30, 2025.
It said one of the victims contacted a complainant, also a Nigerian resident in Accra, and reported that they had been brought from Togo to Ghana by Aminu and forced into prostitution.
During police interrogation, Aminu admitted knowing the two women but claimed they had already been engaged in prostitution in Togo and had paid for their own transport to Ghana.
However, investigations revealed that Aminu allegedly received the victims from her accomplices to manage their prostitution activities, collect their earnings, and remit the proceeds.
The prosecution further stated that Aminu took the victims to a shrine and compelled them to swear an oath that they would go mad if they attempted to escape or keep any of the money.
Following a police operation in Togo, Aminu allegedly relocated to Ghana and continued exploiting the victims at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle.
While in Ghana, one of the victims became pregnant and informed Aminu.
The accused allegedly gave her medication to terminate the pregnancy.
Investigations also showed that Aminu collected 300,000 Naira and 250,000 Naira from the two victims.
The court has ordered the prosecution to file disclosures and adjourned the case to November 19 for Case Management Conference.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
37 minutes -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
44 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
53 minutes -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
1 hour -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
1 hour -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
1 hour -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
1 hour -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
1 hour -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
2 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
2 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
2 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
2 hours -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
2 hours -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
3 hours -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
3 hours