Audio By Carbonatix
The National Labour Commission (NLC) has successfully secured a High Court injunction compelling striking nurses and midwives to immediately end their nationwide industrial action and return to work.
The injunction, granted today, Thursday, June 5, 2025, follows the Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwives Association (GRNMA)'s decision to proceed with its strike despite the NLC declaring the action illegal.
Healthcare services across Ghana have been severely impacted since the GRNMA began its strike on Tuesday, June 4, 2025, leaving patients stranded and medical facilities struggling to cope.

The nurses and midwives initiated the strike over what they describe as prolonged delays in the implementation of their 2024 Collective Agreement, which addresses critical conditions of service and remuneration.
The NLC, invoking its powers under the Labour Act, 2003 (Act 651), had previously directed the GRNMA to suspend all planned actions, including symbolic protests and the eventual withdrawal of services, pending mediation.
This directive came after the GRNMA notified the NLC of its intent to strike in a letter dated May 29, 2025.
However, the GRNMA leadership failed to attend a crucial meeting scheduled by the NLC for Wednesday, June 4, while representatives from the Fair Wages and Salaries Commission, the Ministry of Health, and the Ministry of Finance were present.
This non-compliance led the NLC to declare the industrial action illegal under Section 159 of the Labour Act.
"The Commission declares the industrial action by the Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwives Association as illegal and directs them to call it off with immediate effect," an NLC statement released yesterday, June 4, read.
The High Court's injunction now legally enforces the NLC's directive, ordering all GRNMA members, estimated to be over 128,000 nurses and midwives, to resume work at their respective health facilities immediately.
The NLC has also directed the GRNMA leadership to continue engaging with the Fair Wages and Salaries Commission on the implementation of their collective agreement and to report progress to the Commission by June 25, 2025.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Health, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh, has also issued a passionate appeal to the striking nurses and midwives to return to work, prioritising patient well-being and urging them to return to the negotiation table to find a lasting solution to the impasse.
The strike has led to significant disruptions, particularly in outpatient department (OPD) and emergency services across public hospitals nationwide.
Latest Stories
-
Amazon plans drone delivery expansion to about 500 US locales
2 hours -
Trump calls for Congress to pass crypto bill at White House event
2 hours -
ABC says intimidation by Trump’s FCC forced programming changes
2 hours -
Uber launches autonomous rides in Zagreb, its first in Europe
2 hours -
Ecuador intelligence chief and five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
2 hours -
NMC reconstitutes boards of four state-owned media organisations
2 hours -
Keep abreast of new traffic regulations – Police
3 hours -
Police to prosecute commercial drivers for overcharging passengers
3 hours -
24-Hour Markets is not our responsibility – Goosie Tanoh distances Secretariat from project
3 hours -
Vaccine breakthrough stops cancer returning in trial
3 hours -
‘I was born in South Africa’, says beauty queen Chidimma Adetshina facing legal bid to deport her
3 hours -
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK
4 hours -
Ghana’s output expansion largely driven by labour, capital rather than innovation – Opoku-Afari
4 hours -
Ghana is ready for nuclear power adoption – Gov’t affirms
4 hours -
GJA@77: Media-government partnership vital to Ghana’s democracy – Shamima Muslim
4 hours