Audio By Carbonatix
A group of staff of the National Sports Authority (NSA) staged a demonstration at its headquarters on Thursday against a directive seeking the revocation of their appointments.
The affected officers, believed to be part of the 17 recruits whose employment has come under scrutiny in recent weeks, gathered within the Authority’s premises to express their displeasure over moves to cancel their appointments.
The protest follows a directive from the NSA Board after questions were raised about whether the recruitment process complied with established public service procedures.
Some of the emotionally charged staff insist they had worked for months and contributed meaningfully to the operations of the Authority.
The controversy centres on claims that the recruits did not go through the required clearance processes under Ghana’s public sector regulations. Recruitment into state institutions typically requires approval from the relevant authorities, such as Public Service Commission and the Finance Ministry as well as advertisement of vacancies and formal interviews conducted by a duly constituted panel.
In the midst of the unrest, Acting Director General of the NSA, Yaw Ampofo Ankrah, engaged the aggrieved staff and assured them that efforts were being made to address the situation.
"At this stadium, even football could not be played here," Mr Ankrah said as acknowledgement of their contribution.
He added that: "You are Ghanaians. Even if we put politics aside, you guys came when we were down so we cannot abandon you, but there's miscommunication. There's a little bit of mischief from some people putting misinformation out there.
"Don't fall for that trap. If there's any issue you read online or social media, just come and ask.
"Nobody here is going to lose their job once I am here. I will protect you," he assured.
He appealed for calm and urged staff to allow management and the Governing Board to resolve the matter through the appropriate channels.
The dispute comes after the Minister for Sports and Recreation, Kofi Adams, held a meeting with the NSA Board and management over the issue.
The Minister had earlier requested employment and employee data from the Director General amid reports that the appointments were being reviewed.
Latest Stories
-
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
36 minutes -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
50 minutes -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
50 minutes -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
1 hour -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
1 hour -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
1 hour -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
2 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
3 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
3 hours