Audio By Carbonatix
Dozens of alleged protesters were brought before a Nigerian court on Friday, sparking outrage as many of the defendants appeared to be malnourished following two months of detention.
Four young suspects - who were arrested during major anti-government protests in August - collapsed on the courtroom floor, writhing in pain before being removed to get medical help.
Human rights activists have criticised the justice system as at least one-third of those brought in for the initial court hearing were boys aged between 14 and 18.
All 76 defendants pleaded not guilty to charges of treason, felony and inciting mutiny.
Activists said the defendants had been in custody since August, when protests over a deepening cost-of-living crisis ignited across Nigeria.
The demonstrations turned violent in some places as protesters clashed with security forces. At least seven people died, according to police, though rights groups have put the death toll at 23.
There were also nearly 700 arrests.
In response to Friday's dramatic court hearing, which took place in the capital, Abuja, rights group Amnesty International said: "Putting minors through these horrifying detentions for participating in protests against hunger and corruption is - so far - one of the deadliest attempts to suppress freedom of assembly."
A Nigerian rights organisation, named Enough is Enough, called the situation "institutional child abuse".
"These teenagers have been remanded in prison for saying they were hungry. Their place is in school, not prison. Release them now," the organisation demanded.
Some of those who appeared in court on Friday were charged with flying Russian flags during the protests.
Video footage of the demonstrations showed a small number of protesters waving Russian flags and calling on Russia’s President Vladimir Putin for help.
Two months ago, 10 other suspects appeared in court, charged with treason and other serious offences.
They were accused of working with a British citizen “to destabilise Nigeria by calling on the military to take over government from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu", according to the charge sheet.
All of the suspects in this case pleaded not guilty.
In total, 114 of those arrested during the protests were charged with treason. A judge has granted each of the defendants a 10m naira ($6,000; £4,700) bail.
Nigeria is experiencing its worst economic crisis in a generation - annual inflation stands at more than 30% and food prices have rocketed.
Latest Stories
-
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
3 minutes -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
7 minutes -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
12 minutes -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
15 minutes -
Berekuso-Kwabenya-Kitase road project stalls as First Sky cites unsigned contract and funding challenges
18 minutes -
Interior Ministry urges strict enforcement of Armoured Bullion Vehicle standards in Ghana
20 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped man after Ford F-150 crashes into Kia Rio at Suhum Niifio
22 minutes -
Firefighters need stronger protection from smoke, air pollution risks – Clean Air Fund
23 minutes -
Constitution guarantees speedy trials for all cases, not selected ones — Kpemka tells Deputy AG
23 minutes -
Hostel operators warn Rent Control action could worsen accommodation shortage at KNUST
24 minutes -
Fire Service equipment shortage persists as some appliances go 15 years without replacement
26 minutes -
Guinness Ghana DJ Awards 2026 nationwide tour kicks off in Winneba
27 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod management of ‘crass incompetence’ over alleged losses
28 minutes -
Livestream: National Mining Dialogue 2026 underway
37 minutes -
Small arms amnesty campaign boosts surrender, regularisation of weapons in Ashanti Region
44 minutes