Audio By Carbonatix
Residents of Penteng, a farming community in the Afigya Kwabre North District of the Ashanti Region, say they are living in fear following a surge in violent attacks believed to be linked to land guards operating in the area.
The community has in recent weeks witnessed alarming incidents, including the severing of a man’s wrist, the burning of a seven-bedroom family house, and the demolition of another building at the lintel stage.
When Adom News visited the community on Wednesday, residents described Penteng as a “pale shadow” of its former self, with many now afraid to sleep in their homes.
One resident, Paulina Fosu, said families in the area are terrified and unable to live peacefully due to repeated threats from suspected land guards.
“We, who are living in the area where the incident happened, are afraid. They nearly burnt my house too, and now we cannot stay in our own houses anymore because these suspected land guards, after burning March’s father’s house, said they will be back,” she said.
The sister of one of the victims, Darko Felicity, recounted how the violence escalated. According to her, her brother, Yaw Darko, confronted the suspected land guards with a cutlass after they allegedly destroyed his building project. The group reportedly retaliated by setting their father’s house ablaze, rendering occupants homeless.
She said the family fled after receiving warnings that the group planned to avenge the injury sustained by one of their members.
“The incident occurred around 11 a.m. Someone came to our house and warned us to run because our brother had injured someone; they said the injured person’s people wanted to take revenge on our brother or any member of his family,” she explained.
“Everyone in the house ran away, and between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., we were informed that someone had set our house on fire. When we returned, everything had been burnt to ashes.”
The family says they have been displaced and fear for their lives as the threats continue.
Grace Kusi, aunt of Yaw Darko, appealed to non-governmental organisations, philanthropists and the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) for support.
She also called on the security agencies to intervene urgently to protect affected families and restore calm to the community.
Latest Stories
-
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
51 seconds -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
8 minutes -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
42 minutes -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
45 minutes -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
1 hour -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
1 hour -
This week on The Career Trail
1 hour -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
1 hour -
“I stepped back from politics for my husband to continue the journey” – Sammi Awuku’s wife
2 hours -
Ghana will receive final IMF cash of US$318 million immediately after July board approval – Mission Chief
2 hours -
Arthur Legacy, CAA Base partner to educate players on transfers, branding
2 hours -
Midie: Children wade through mud daily to go to school
2 hours -
GN Savings and Loans case is not over – Banking consultant
2 hours -
Oh Why, Honourable Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin?
2 hours -
MoGCSP inaugurates, swears in Technical Working Group for new National Plan of Action on elimination of human trafficking
2 hours