The Director of Research at the Institute of Economic Affairs, Dr. John Kwakye is warning of further hikes in inflation if the Bank of Ghana phases out the 1 and 2 notes as planned.
In a tweet, he said the planned move will not only put pressure on the 5 note but will also trigger higher inflation.
“Phasing out 1 and 2 cedi notes from the economy as planned by BoG will not only put pressure on the 5 cedi notes, but will also further fuel inflation”
Dr. Kwakye who is an immediate past member of the Monetary Policy Committee of the Bank of Ghana explained further that the country may undertake a redenomination of the local currency again in the future if it does not address the rapid depreciation of the cedi and inflation.
“If we don’t rein in inflation and cedi depreciation, it won’t be long before we undertake another redenomination.”
The country’s inflation is one of the highest on the continent so far this year.
It hit 33.9% in August 2022, the highest in 21 years, data from the Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) revealed.
This is expected to increase the cost of borrowing by raising interest rates further, and consequently trigger increase cost of living and doing business.
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers
- My vehicle was set ablaze on Samatex premises – Wontumi alleges
- Court orders CID Boss to provide safety report on alleged bride killers
- Blunt Thoughts: Losing from both ends – Our natural resources in crisis and our economy in tatters
- Total Mobile Money transactions fall by 2% year-on-year in August 2022; E-levy impact marginal
- IBAG to celebrate Insurance Brokers’ Awareness Month this October
- GRA locks up popular event center ‘Underbridge’
- NSMQ 2022: Competing schools arrive on KNUST campus ahead of prelims
- ‘Galamsey’ got worse under Mahama – NPP tells NDC
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- Kuami Eugene grabs 2022 BMI London award
- Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit calls for Thomas Partey backup in January
- Bawumia has been a disaster as head of economic management team – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
- People like our union – Shatta Wale on why he requested to collaborate with Michy
- Qatar 2022: Ghana vs Uruguay not a ‘revenge’ game – Andre Ayew
- Malta Guinness WPL: Ridge City take on Essiam Socrates; Pearlpia face Prisons Ladies on Day 1
- I think Black Sherif is Bob Marley reincarnate – Sonnie Badu
- Prudential Bank leads conversation on Pan-African Payment and Settlement System