The Police Administration has inaugurated the Police Certified Riding Ambassadors (POCRA) initiative to help curb indiscipline on the country’s roads.
This drive which is part of the road safety campaign was held at the National Police Headquarters in Accra last Thursday.
POCRA initiative is aimed at sensitising the riding public on the need to comply with road traffic rules and regulations to reduce the increasing spate of crashes, injuries and deaths attributable to motorbikes.
It is also intended to complement the ongoing Police Action Against Rider Indiscipline (Operation PAARI).
The Police Certified Riding Ambassadors will support police efforts as “they will serve as examples for other riders to ensure that they have insurance, the motorbikes registered and also put on their crash helmets.
“Whiles on the road, they will not ride on the wrong side of the road, they will stop at the red light, they will ensure their pillion riders, if any, are also wearing crash helmets.”
The Police added that “the Ambassadors will educate and encourage other riders at every opportunity to comply with traffic rules and regulations.
“Whenever possible, they will share information on other law-abiding riders they come across for such persons to be recognised and celebrated by the police and they will generally serve as examples of road discipline for other riders to emulate.”
In all 104 private dispatch motor riders from Accra and Tema were screened and vetted by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Police Service and subsequently taken through an orientation exercise.
The orientation covered topics such as Defensive Riding, Consequences of Rider Indiscipline, Ethics, Customer Care and Road Traffic Regulations among others.
The Ashanti Regional component of the Police Certified Riding Ambassadors was inaugurated in Kumasi on Friday, July 8.
A comprehensive rollout programme for the remaining regions is in place and will soon be carried out to ensure every region benefits from the campaign.
The Police Administration is grateful to individuals and other organisations who supported this novel campaign.
We urge the general public to support the initiative to ensure discipline and the safety of all persons on our roads.
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Trevor Noah is leaving ‘The Daily Show’
- Banking sector crisis was not systemic – Alhassan Andani
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Banking sector crisis: State institutions must raise red flags at the right time – Alhassan Andani
- GRASAG launches Graduate Research Trust Fund to support scientific and policy-oriented research for national development
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Ghana, Korea $8 million rice project kicks off in Assin North
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We are engaging ECG to fix anomaly with electricity purchase – PURC
- Chinese employer allegedly slashes throat of Ghanaian employee
- SIM re-registration: “Eat your humble pie” – Sam George tells Ursula Owusu
- NIA called, begged 9 Ghanaians to come for their Ghana Cards after filing complaint in court – Sam George
- Livestream: PM Express discusses the survival of banks in economic crisis
- Mfantsipim Old Boys Association holds annual engagement series
- betPawa Premier League: Seydou Zerbo getting frustrated with Kotoko strikers