Paul Afoko has been elected new Chairman of the opposition New Patriotic Party. He polled 2,032 votes to beat his closest challenger, Stephen Ntim who polled 1,500 votes, Director of Elections at the Electoral Commission Samuel Tettey declared.
Shockingly, the incumbent chairman Jake Obetsebi Lamptey could only manage 66. He was initially reported to have polled 65 but one of his votes was later found mixed with that of another aspirant. Fred Oware polled 1,135 votes.
After almost seven hours of a rather slow voting and counting process, Kwabena Agyapong also beat his closest contender and incumbent Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie popularly known as Sir John.
In an overwhelming victory, the former press secretary to president John Kufuor polled 2,529 votes to down the incumbent General Secretary who also polled 1,990.
For the National Organiser position John Boadu won overwhelmingly with 3,279 votes to beat the incumbent Alhaji Monctar Bamba who polled 474 votes. Hopeson Adorye polled 984 votes.
Esther Ofori also lost the National Treasurer position to Kwabena Abankwa Yeboah who polled 2,483 votes. Ofori settled for 503 votes.
In a close contest in the Women's Organiser position, incumbent Otiko Djaba beat her bitter rival Tina Mensah for the position.
Otiko polled 276 votes whilst Tina Mensah polled 250. Mawusi Awity came third with 113 votes.
Sammy Awuku overwhelmingly won the Youth Organiser position. He polled 471 votes beating the incumbent Emmanuel Attafuah Danso with 28 votes.
Kamal Deen Abdulai also won the National NASARA Coordinator position. For the vice chair position, Freddy Blay, Sammy Crabbe and FF Antoh were voted as the first, second and third vice chairmen of the party respectively.
The new candidates have been sworn into office to begin work.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- President Mahama never had an accident -Stan Dogbe
- 1 dead in shooting at NDC Ashanti office
- Slapped NDC MP's words require in-camera hearing - Witness tells Commission
- Deputy Minister urges Churches to lead sanitation Campaign
- Propaganda won't wash - Mahama hits back at gov't over meeting with diplomats
- Two private citizens petition Akufo-Addo to expand scope of Emile Short Commission
- Gov’t to write to diplomats over ‘false’ Mahama videos
- New regions won’t add to your legacy – Bentil tells prez to prioritise infrastructure dev’t
- Veep reiterates gov’t’s resolve to improve Zongos
- Governance expert pushes for law on selection of regional capitals
- Mahama urged to submit his evidence to Emile Short Commission
- Hot Video: Joy News Editorial: Short Commission - Same questions, different responses
- Parliament summons Interior Minister over recent children assaults
- Mahama's election bid hit with suit
- Suhuyini accuses Speaker of unfair treatment