Paul Afoko has been elected new Chairman of the opposition New Patriotic Party. He polled 2,032 votes to beat his closest challenger, Stephen Ntim who polled 1,500 votes, Director of Elections at the Electoral Commission Samuel Tettey declared.
Shockingly, the incumbent chairman Jake Obetsebi Lamptey could only manage 66. He was initially reported to have polled 65 but one of his votes was later found mixed with that of another aspirant. Fred Oware polled 1,135 votes.
After almost seven hours of a rather slow voting and counting process, Kwabena Agyapong also beat his closest contender and incumbent Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie popularly known as Sir John.
In an overwhelming victory, the former press secretary to president John Kufuor polled 2,529 votes to down the incumbent General Secretary who also polled 1,990.
For the National Organiser position John Boadu won overwhelmingly with 3,279 votes to beat the incumbent Alhaji Monctar Bamba who polled 474 votes. Hopeson Adorye polled 984 votes.
Esther Ofori also lost the National Treasurer position to Kwabena Abankwa Yeboah who polled 2,483 votes. Ofori settled for 503 votes.
In a close contest in the Women's Organiser position, incumbent Otiko Djaba beat her bitter rival Tina Mensah for the position.
Otiko polled 276 votes whilst Tina Mensah polled 250. Mawusi Awity came third with 113 votes.
Sammy Awuku overwhelmingly won the Youth Organiser position. He polled 471 votes beating the incumbent Emmanuel Attafuah Danso with 28 votes.
Kamal Deen Abdulai also won the National NASARA Coordinator position. For the vice chair position, Freddy Blay, Sammy Crabbe and FF Antoh were voted as the first, second and third vice chairmen of the party respectively.
The new candidates have been sworn into office to begin work.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana committed to AU fight against jihadists - Foreign Affairs minister
- Prof Edmund Delle resigns as CPP Chairman
- NDC, civil society and others punch holes into Vigilantism Bill
- Ex-NCA officials ordered to open defense in $4M misappropriation saga
- Zanetor Rawlings rebukes Korle-Klottey Assembly for lateness
- Be less partisan on Vigilantism Bill- Majority Leader to Committee
- Let Amidu start with your own men - Mahama's aide to Akufo-Addo
- OccupyGhana lauds RTI presidential assent
- Special Prosecutor ‘completely wrong’ – Ayariga responds to charges
- Special Prosecutor begins prosecution of Ayariga
- CI to track source of political party funding in the offing - EC reveals
- Ghanaian voters' biometric data completely controlled by foreigners – EC laments
- I couldn’t rig elections even if my father was running – EC Chair
- Akufo-Addo extols Parliament for its 'courage' in passing RTI
- Update: Akufo-Addo assents to RTI law