The Ghana Meteorological Agency (GMet) has urged farmers to promote irrigation and ensure rational management of water resources for crops among others as the year is likely to experience dry spells.
GMet’s prediction indicates a significant probabilities of slightly longer dry spells and late to normal onset of rains.
Deputy Director for Research and Applied Meteorology at GMet, Francisca Martey, told participants at the 2022 seasonal forecast that, the southeastern parts of the country could experience a below to normal rainfall tendency for March, April, May (MAM) and April, March, and June (AMJ).
According to GMet, areas likely to experience water deficits, normal to below seasons, longer dry spells at the beginning and towards the end of the season could also be affected when it comes to planting and growth of crops. It could also promote the development of crop pests.
Water resources are also expected to be impacted negatively across the country.
Madam Martey said efficient water management should be carried out to ensure enough water for human and animal consumption.
GMet also wants farmers to diversify income-generating activities and promote practices such as tillage, mulching, market gardening and agroforestry to offset the production deficit.
“Adopt farming techniques/practices for the conservation of soil water. Also cooperate with national meteorological, agricultural and hydrological authorities for information and experts advice.”
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Jihadists may have infiltrated Bawku – Upper East Regional Minister
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group