The Ranking Member on the Parliamentary Select Committee on Works and Housing wants government to stop sole-sourcing contracts for sea defence projects.
Vincent Oppong Asamoah said that it is the only way to prevent the awarding of contracts to firms without the needed capacity to stop shoddy work.
Recently, there has been an increase in coastal erosion. This has increased calls for and scrutiny of sea defence projects.
Mr Asamoah, while addressing the media after a visit by the Committee to inspect works on Ningo-Prampram and Dansoman sea defence projects, questioned the quality of work being done on the Ningo-Prampram project.
He thus urged the government to prioritise competitive bidding when awarding such contracts.
According to him, this will enable the government to select the most suitable contractor for such constructions and also prevent the wastage of scarce resources.
“Contracts on GOG should come by competitive bidding, not sole-sourcing unless that contractor has some special expertise that others do not have.”
In this case, a new contractor will execute it and sole source it to that person; it is so suspicious.”
Mr Asamoah also indicated that there would be further scrutiny of the project.
“This one, we will go into it and find out why a project of this magnitude, of over ¢400 million, will be sole-sourced to a new contractor in the industry.”
- Bawumia, NPP and NDC bigwigs mourn with Jospong CEO
- Akufo-Addo’s travels have benefits, what about yours? – Presidency to Ablakwa
- IMANI Africa lists 10 challenges with National Cathedral
- Akufo-Addo’s Minister caught in conflict? – JoyNews investigations
- Ablakwa seeking to achieve prominence with negative attacks on Akufo-Addo – Presidency
- MTN FA Cup 2022: Hearts of Oak beat Bechem United to retain title
- Tiler gets 7 years for defilement; claims victim forced him to have sex with her
- Man found dead on a farm after going missing
- Presidential travels: We’re reaping the rewards of bitter seeds – Presidency on Ablakwa’s allegations
- Current government is tolerant – Asabee
Court to rule on time and location of Arise Ghana demonstration today
Samini, Wande Coal set to thrill patrons at DMV Party in the Park
Atwima Mponua Rural Bank increases profit margins by 100% in 4 years
DVLA defends position as best procurement institution in public sector
G7 summit: Leaders detail $600bn plan to rival China’s Belt and Road initiative￼
Cape Coast – Twifo Praso road to be closed today for repair works on Junkwa bridge
Intravenous Infusions announces increase in revenue of 9.6% for 2021 financial year
Interest payments to rise further as cost of borrowing increases
Today’s front pages: Monday, June 27, 2022
Government assesses impact of economic interventions from June 27
Akufo-Addo’s Minister caught in conflict? – JoyNews investigations
Current government is tolerant – Asabee
NPP Chairmanship race: I stand tall above the rest – Asabee
NPP Flagbearership race: I have not declared support for Bawumia – Asabee
Tiler gets 7 years for defilement; claims victim forced him to have sex with her