Member of Parliament for South Dayi, Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor, has indicated that he is working to increase the number of educated constituents in his area to enhance human capacity.
He has set up scholarship schemes to cater for the cost of their tertiary education and alleviate their plight.
Mr. Dafeamekpor, indicated that he has spent over GH₵400,000 in scholarships between 2018 and April 2023.
He said that about a thousand of his constituents have benefited from this scholarship scheme which enabled them to access tertiary education to pursue their professional careers.
He disclosed this at a short ceremony in Kpeve in the Volta Region to disburse GH₵59,600 in scholarship to qualified applicants.
He said that in 2018, GH₵36,600 was distributed, 2019 saw the disbursing of GH₵49,350, while the figure rose to GH₵103,600 in 2020, with GH₵76,900, and GH₵83,000 given out in 2021 and 2022 respectively.
Mr. Dafeamekpor explained that after investing in infrastructure at basic and second-cycle levels, he needed to sponsor qualified students who cannot fully afford to further their education at the tertiary level.
This he said compelled him to allocate a portion of his statutory funds for scholarships to build the human resource capacity of the South Dayi Constituency.
He entreated the beneficiaries to focus on their academic activities and not be distracted in pursuing their aim of graduating with good grades to become professionals.
He charged them to compile books on the culture, origin, ethnicity, among other features of the South Dayi Constituency to serve as reference for research and other scholarly works.
“I want you to go out, do well, become lawyers, judges, big engineers, big professors and write books on the district. You people are not writing on the district, write academic works on the district,” he advised.
Mr. Defeamekpor since becoming an MP supplied about 10,000 exercise books to pupils across the district, procured over 2,000 bags of cement and 80 bundles of roofing sheets to refurbish and construct educational infrastructure.
He also sponsored mock examinations for Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) candidates, registered over 1,000 BECE candidates and supplied mathematical sets to all BECE candidates between 2016 and 2022.
With the support of non-governmental organizations, Mr. Dafeamekpor supplied furniture, improved educational infrastructure, and sponsored quiz competitions for schools in the constituency.
The South Dayi District Director of Education, Victor Korkutsome, said he was overwhelmed with the exceptional support of Mr. Defeamekpor in the education sector alone.
He entreated the beneficiaries to use the money for the intended purpose and make the MP proud by excelling in their academic performance.
He lauded Mr. Dafeamokpor’s legal knowledge and contributions to governance affairs and related issues both on the floor of parliament and in the media.
“My friends describe him as thousands out of a million, I want him to remain in parliament and continue his good works,” he said.
- What is love bombing and how is it different from falling in love?
- Are You Dealing With a Narcissist or Just a Selfish Jerk?
- Man gored to death by bull at Spanish festival
- Asenso-Boakye mourns former Bantama MP
- Central African Republic’s exiled former president sentenced to life in prison
- Let’s strengthen literacy, numeracy skills in formative years of children – Librarian
- GWCL announces interruption in water supply from Kpong Treatment Plant
- Gunmen abduct female students in north-west Nigeria
- 2 dead, others injured in road accident at Asankare Barrier
- Medical negligence: Can you sue a chiropractor for the wrong diagnosis and treatment?
- Ethiopian Prince Alemayehu’s lock of hair returned after 140 years in UK
- It’s tough without my dad – Akwaboah
- Florida: 13ft alligator killed after it was spotted with human remains in its mouth
- Alan Kyerematen, Sammy Gyamfi and others mourn with Kwame A Plus at late father’s funeral
- FDA sensitizes traders and patients on medicine adverse reactions