Manager Ronald Koeman says he has been disrespected by the Barcelona board and the media amid continued speculation about his future.
Local media claims former Barca player Xavi Hernandez could replace the Dutchman, with club president Joan Laporta admitting earlier this week that there may be changes this summer.
“You need to respect your coach and players more,” said Koeman.
“In the last part of the season I’ve not felt the support of the club.”
Koeman added: “Things have come out in the press. They don’t deserve that kind of treatment, things should be done differently.
“I know there’s a lot of pressure here and I accept this, but sometimes I think in this country there’s much more of a culture with the media getting involved with a coach’s future, which I think is disrespectful.”
Koeman succeeded Quique Setien as Barcelona boss in August 2020 on a two-year deal after stepping down from his role as Netherlands coach.
He led them to success in the Copa del Rey in April, but they go into the final weekend of the La Liga season in third place behind rivals Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid and guaranteed to finish outside the top two for the first time since 2007-08.
They were also well beaten by Paris St-Germain in the last 16 of the Champions League, while there is continued uncertainly over the future of star striker Lionel Messi, who is out of contract in the summer and has yet to agree a new deal.
When asked about his own future, Koeman said: “I don’t know if I will continue as coach, to be honest. I’ve not spoken with the president.
“I know we need to make changes in order to win trophies and if that means a new coach or players then fine; but it needs to be communicated.”
- Free SHS: Uncompleted structures converted to classrooms at Prempeh College
- Saglemi contractor was paid $179m for $64m work – Attorney-General
- Accra-Tema motorway to experience 21-day disruption to traffic flow beginning Aug 1
- We’re initiators of ¢100 National Cathedral donation campaign, not government – Secretariat
- She circulated my nudes because I refused to break up with ‘our’ boyfriend
- Take time off your schedules for a vacation – Palmer-Buckle tells academics
- National Cathedral to cost about $200m – Secretary for Board of Trustees
- Corrupt heads of public institutions should not go scotfree – Haruna Iddrissu to Special Prosecutor
- Kwame Asiedu Sarpong: Unpacking the confusion surrounding testing outcomes at KIA
- Aunt arrested after niece and nephew’s bodies found in her car, police say
Police begin investigation into alleged murder of pastor and his wife in Akatsi South
Saglemi Scandal: How the same consultancy service was allegedly awarded 3 times for $13m
Ghana’s economy entered into Covid-19 pandemic with favorable outlook – IMF
Manchester City make £100m bid for Aston Villa midfielder, Jack Grealish
Claims about cause of African leaders’ deaths debunked
Twitter news and updates in July – In case you missed them
Gunmen attack funeral of Hezbollah commander in Lebanon
Ghana will not default in repaying debt; but classified as highly debt distress country – IMF
She circulated my nudes because I refused to break up with ‘our’ boyfriend
‘I saw my 2-year-old carried by a man with a gun’
Ghana Youth Movement drives mental health campaign
GNECC launches school-based campaign to address stigma related to Covid-19
Youth advised to be mindful of available employment opportunities when making career choices
NUGS appeals to UTAG, SSA-UoG to call off strike
Today’s frontpages: Monday, August 2, 2021