This morning, I start by inviting not only the anti-LGBT+ crusaders, but all to read Godfred Yeboah Dame’s near-unimpeachable legal advice on the Bill. The sponsors and those aligned with their views including the unconstitutional aspects, must read it to continue the pursuit with less emotion.
You can push the Bill without the sometimes veiled incitement to criminal conduct and human rights abuse. The AG is lawyer for all of us. He supports the law. That means there is Executive or more appropriately, State backing for it.
But read how he renders his legal opinion; his deliberate choice of words and expressions. His support for it does not blind him to the fact that aspects of the Bill are plainly unconstitutional and untenable.
Dear crusaders, you reject his advice at the risk of having the end-product crushed in court for not passing muster. It is a good-read. It is only 18 pages but deals with each clause including the wrong subjective title, the unimplementable provisions and illegal felony-sanctions for what ought to be punished as misdemeanors.
I read that piece of scholarly work soon as it was sent to me earlier this week. I started to make notes for My Take to deal with the details. But I paused and told myself I had to stop this attitude of not celebrating, sometimes, not making even a whisper about what others celebrate about this show – NewsFile.
Well, personally, I don’t exactly like to participate in awards that require one to canvass votes for. In fact, I am even hesitant about those requiring one to file an entry to qualify. I have a preference for those decided by a faculty of accomplished experts and persons of integrity.
I cherish those awards which are the product of peer-review, independent assessment and recognition of one’s work. I believe awards do not only communicate endorsement but motivation to give off our utmost.
We should make awards. They should not define us. In 2021, I was nominated together with the distinguished MPs for North Tongu and Ho West, the incorruptible police officer Confidence Fiagadzi and Manasseh Azure Awuni for the GII’s integrity personality awards. I quietly campaigned for Manasseh because I believed he more than deserved it for all the risks and sacrifices he makes for God and Country.
I have rejected awards I didn’t believe in. But it felt good to be recognized with the GJA’s Democracy and Peace Peacebuilding and the ultimate P.A.V. Ansah 2019 awards. That man (P.A.V. Ansah) was a rare breed and the very definition of JoyNews’ mantra: Independent, Fearless and Credible journalism.
The annual event has resumed, and I congratulate all winners at 2021 GJA awards especially TV3’s Portia Gabor who picked up the ultimate P.A.V. Anash Journalist of the year prize. She is calm but effective at her work.
Now your longest-running and most authoritative analysis platform, NewsFile, won Best Radio/TV Programme in English. We dedicate this award to you our audience, guests and all connected to the show. I am only the face of the show. Many thanks to all those behind the scenes and responsible for making it happen every Saturday under the leadership of Samuel Odame. Thank you! That’s My Take.
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group