Lautaro Martinez’s two goals helped Inter Milan to an impressive derby win against AC Milan as they opened up a four-point gap at the top of Serie A.
The striker’s early header laid the platform for a confident Inter display.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic twice went close to equalising for Milan but the hosts were then caught out chasing the game.
A fine team move saw Martinez tap in his second then Romelu Lukaku finished another incisive counter attack with a low drive into the bottom corner.
While the normal raucous atmosphere that usually greets this fixture will have to wait until fans return to stadiums, supporters of both clubs lined the route to the ground, underlining the significance of the match.
This was the first time the sides had met while occupying the top two positions in Serie A since April 2011.
On that occasion AC Milan went on to win the Scudetto after a 3-0 win and having emulated that scoreline Antonio Conte will feel his Inter side are well placed to lift their first title since 2009-10.
It was an unhappy way for Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma to mark his 200th Serie A appearance.
The 21-year-old, who is the youngest player to reach the milestone, beat the previous record set by legendary keeper Gianluigi Buffon by more than two years.
While his opposite number Samir Handanovic made important stops to prevent both Ibrahimovic and Sandro Tonali from equalising as Milan poured forward after the break, Donnarumma stood no chance with any of the goals.
Champions Juventus are 11 points behind Inter, although they have two games in hand on Conte’s side.
- 2023 AFCONQ: Inaki Williams withdraws from Black Stars squad to face Madagascar
- Read Supreme Court’s full judgement in Gyakye Quayson case
- NDC punches holes into Supreme Court’s full judgement on Gyakye Quayson
- Patients in danger as nurses head for NHS in UK – medics
- Kwabena Donkor hits back at World Bank Country Director over his claims on PPAs signed under NDC
- Supreme Court’s reasoning for kicking Gyakye Quayson out of Parliament strange – Sammy Gyamfi
- We won’t withhold our approval of Chief Justice nominee – Minority backs Gertrude Torkornoo
- Our decision on Justice Torkonoo will be known after we peruse full judgement on Gyakye Quayson – Agbodza
- Disregard reported increase in HIV cases in Ho – Ghana Health Service
- Ahafo Police begin investigation into mysterious death of NPP polling station chairman
- NSMQ 2023: GSTS topples St Johns SHS in electrifying contest to qualify for Nationals
- Do what is right; stop the promise and fail – Pensioner Bondholders to government
- Full text: Minority’s approval of Chief Justice-nominee Gertrude Torkornoo
- Our June 30th ultimatum still remains – IPPs remind government
- IMF staff mission to visit Ghana this week to track progress of Economic Recovery Programme
- PPAs agreement: Remarks made by World Bank’s Country Director not supported by facts – Suhuyini
- Domelevo sings: Read English translation of his cryptic song
- Saglemi project: Former Housing Ministry’s Chief Director ordered to appear in court in 48hrs
- Linda Yaccarino replaces Elon Musk as Twitter boss
- Rex Omar explains why GHAMRO’s website has been inactive for more than 6 months
- Domelevo case: NDC can admit that the Justices are fair-minded – NPP MP
- Livestream: Valedictory ceremony for Justice Jones Dotse underway
- Health sector needs “strategic” funding – Kwaku Agyeman-Manu
- We need a re-look at taxes affecting automotive industry – Investors
- Ghana and Denmark strengthen bilateral cooperation for sustainable development