Since news broke that Lionel Andrés Messi is leaving Barcelona, many across the world have taken to social media to share their sentiments.
Here in Ghana, the 34-year old football sensation’s departure from his club has got social media users wondering which team the “God Of All Times (GOAT)” will play for.
Meanwhile, some are speculating on a move to PSG.
For others, his leave means many fans will also stop supporting Barcelona to follow the young gifted lad.
Messi is Barcelona’s record scorer with 672 goals, and 10 La Liga titles, four Champions Leagues and seven Copa del Reys.
He has also claimed the Ballon d’Or on six occasions.
According to Barcelona, Lionel Messi will not be staying at the club “because of financial and structural obstacles”.
“Despite FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi having reached an agreement and the clear intention of both parties to sign a new contract today, this cannot happen because of financial and structural obstacles [Spanish La Liga regulations].
“FC Barcelona wholeheartedly expresses its gratitude to the player for his contribution to the aggrandisement of the club and wishes him all the very best for the future in his personal and professional life,” the club said.
Thank you, Leo. pic.twitter.com/cdS9xWe8Me— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) August 5, 2021
This is after he agreed to a new deal on reduced wages but was dependent on Barca selling players to afford his salary.
Below are some comments from Twitter:
#Messi move Barca fans in Ghana will do same sooner than later😆🤣.— SUNSET (@SunsetReignof) August 5, 2021
Just wait for it
Barcelona Without Messi Is Like Ghana Music industry Without @stonebwoyb#fackNkoaaaaa #messi— Quin Priscilla 🇬🇭 🇳🇬 #FixTheCountry (@maufemor7) August 5, 2021
Look at you blame Messi too for taking high wages!! Check how Real Madrid pay their players so cool, they had a positive income at the end of the season! If I’m lying do ur research bro.— GHANA MBAPPE🇬🇭🌺 (@Costivenana) August 5, 2021
Messi wages it’s Soo uncool yh
As at now no Barcelona player has bid a farewell to Messi ei this world hard o! Them all bore Messi for ein wages Lol 😂😂😂— GHANA MBAPPE🇬🇭🌺 (@Costivenana) August 6, 2021
barca ankasa they are not serious they have spent over 500m just to replace Neymar…now just imagine how much they will to find a replacement for messi— GRA GHANA (@Plac_ebo) August 6, 2021
#Messi might end in Ghana.— Nana Kodua (@Cobby_Fk) August 6, 2021
King Faisal is preparing a juicy bid.#skysportsnews #ESPN pic.twitter.com/MzzkdYeKXt
Ay3 k3se #Ghana we dey #Messi #Barca @HeartsOfOakGH are you ready to sign him????😀😀😀😀😀 pic.twitter.com/7Cj2K3DNzL— SirPkay4 (@Sir_Pkay4) August 6, 2021
PSG started direct contact with Lionel Messi …..ei oil money dey talk o hmmmmm @FabrizioRomano— GHANA MBAPPE🇬🇭🌺 (@Costivenana) August 5, 2021
As Messi lef Barcelona di333 Ghana Premier League sarf go get value pas Laliga😒.— Drizzy 🧻 (@Nungua_Drizzy) August 5, 2021
The League turn beans be that
Eii adey cry give Barca— Ghana First (@fools39891719) August 5, 2021
An exit I never thought I will see in my life. The exit of the last member of the greatest footbal era in the last 2 decades. From the ashes shall rise a Phoenix. Barca will suffer but it will survive it will produce another phenomenon because that is what they always do.GOAT https://t.co/QVYrLmgVOJ— Aroma Ghana (@Aromaghana1) August 5, 2021
Dear @DStv_Ghana @DStv— Alan Dods (@amankwaah) August 5, 2021
So what happens if Messi moves to PSG? French League one coverage? You guys should look sharp oooo
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- Essipong: The Decaying Sports Stadium
- Fire burns Madina-Ritz junction again
- Fixed investment to grow at a low 1.3% in 2023 – Fitch Solutions
- Canoe and Fishing Gear Owners Association of Ghana builds capacity of fisherfolks
- Prof. Ama Atta Aidoo passes on aged 81
- Trust Sports Emporium reiterates desire to support lesser-funded sports
- We’ll ensure Kpessa Whyte propagates integrity of the court – Law School Director
- MTN holds AGM, declares dividend of 12.4 pesewas per share
- Hohoe to host 44th NDC June 4 uprising anniversary
- NPP opens nomination for Assin North Constituency by-election
- President Tinubu tells Nigerians to stop panic-buying fuel
- Kwaku Antwi-Boasiako: Potholemics (The Economics of Potholes)
- South Africa to change law to stop arrest of Putin
- 13 die after consuming toxic porridge in Namibia
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, May 31, 2023
- Ben Roberts-Smith: How war hero’s defamation case has rocked Australia
- South Africa plans law change over Putin ICC arrest warrant