Former Environment, Science and Technology Minister, Prof Kwabena Frimpong Boateng, says there are many top government officials engaged in illegal mining, popularly known as ‘galamsey’.
The renowned professor who served under President Akufo-Addo during his first term, insists that the rot goes as high as the government seat, Jubilee House.
This comes as government continues to trumpet its commitment to the illegal mining fight.
In an interview with state broadcaster GBC, the former Minister explained that some of these individuals supervised his ousting from the Ministry in order to continue perpetuating the canker.
Prof. Boateng stressed that the allegations of some 500 missing excavators from illegal miners in 2020 were fabrications of persons in the government to get him out of the way.
“Let me tell you that I did not take one excavator for anything, they know the truth. Now things are coming up, we know those who are behind it and the party people who are there, people in government including Jubilee House who are doing galamsey and so on, even now,” he said.
He further suggested that it was his effort that prevented the forest reserves from further dissipation by these government officials for which reason there are reports of breaches now that he is no more in office.
“There was an orchestrated scheme, even within the party and government to get me out. Why is it that when I left now everyone is in the forest?” he added.
Meanwhile, President Akufo-Addo has said his government will continue the fight against galamsey with the support of the security agencies, in the short term.
He said this while addressing the nation on Wednesday, March 8, 2023,
He added that “However, we are determined to promote responsible small-scale mining through Community Mining Schemes. So far, 16 of these Schemes have been commissioned, with three more to be commissioned by the end of this year.
“All these Schemes are supported with Gold Katchas, pieces of equipment designed to help small-scale miners extract gold from the ore without the use of mercury.”
The President also noted that in 2021, he launched the National Alternative Employment and Livelihood Programme which has so far employed several youths in the production of seedlings and reclamation of degraded mined lands.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- Mahama calls for the intensification of stakeholder efforts, engagement on NACAP
- John Mahama recommends Public Funding of Political Parties Bill to regulate political financing
- Ghana Chamber of Mines censures Golden Star attacks, worried over upsurge of violence against mines
- Ex-President Kufuor urges his scholars to exhibit high levels of integrity
- Boris Johnson clashes with MPs over Partygate denials
- U.S. launches 5-year $5 million patnership with NHIA to improve quality of healthcare, digitisation, and access
- Bolt donates to 2 institutions as part of CSR activities
- North Dayi health directorate holds 2022 annual performance review meeting
- Livestream: PM Express discusses EC’s neutrality
- FWSC working on linking salary to productivity – Benjamin Arthur
- ECG doesn’t have means to prove power theft – Lawyer
- Endeavour to build quality homes – GREDA to members
- Poverty is our enemy; peace and development are our objectives -VP Bawumia
- Alan pays for printing of albums for 200,000 delegates
- Joy Prime premieres new telenovela ‘The Rich Also Cry’ on April 3, 2023