Audio By Carbonatix
Former Environment, Science and Technology Minister, Prof Kwabena Frimpong Boateng, says there are many top government officials engaged in illegal mining, popularly known as ‘galamsey’.
The renowned professor who served under President Akufo-Addo during his first term, insists that the rot goes as high as the government seat, Jubilee House.
This comes as government continues to trumpet its commitment to the illegal mining fight.
In an interview with state broadcaster GBC, the former Minister explained that some of these individuals supervised his ousting from the Ministry in order to continue perpetuating the canker.
Prof. Boateng stressed that the allegations of some 500 missing excavators from illegal miners in 2020 were fabrications of persons in the government to get him out of the way.
“Let me tell you that I did not take one excavator for anything, they know the truth. Now things are coming up, we know those who are behind it and the party people who are there, people in government including Jubilee House who are doing galamsey and so on, even now,” he said.
He further suggested that it was his effort that prevented the forest reserves from further dissipation by these government officials for which reason there are reports of breaches now that he is no more in office.
“There was an orchestrated scheme, even within the party and government to get me out. Why is it that when I left now everyone is in the forest?" he added.
Meanwhile, President Akufo-Addo has said his government will continue the fight against galamsey with the support of the security agencies, in the short term.
He said this while addressing the nation on Wednesday, March 8, 2023,
He added that “However, we are determined to promote responsible small-scale mining through Community Mining Schemes. So far, 16 of these Schemes have been commissioned, with three more to be commissioned by the end of this year.
"All these Schemes are supported with Gold Katchas, pieces of equipment designed to help small-scale miners extract gold from the ore without the use of mercury.”
The President also noted that in 2021, he launched the National Alternative Employment and Livelihood Programme which has so far employed several youths in the production of seedlings and reclamation of degraded mined lands.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
2 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
2 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
2 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
2 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
2 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
2 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
2 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
3 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
3 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
3 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
4 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
4 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
4 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
4 hours