Audio By Carbonatix
Africa Education Watch has criticised the increasing politicisation of the 2025 WASSCE results, warning that it diverts attention from the deeper structural problems undermining educational performance across the country.
The organisation’s Executive Director, Kofi Asare, expressed concern following renewed political exchanges triggered by former Education Minister Dr Yaw Osei Adutwum, who reportedly blamed the decline in student performance on poor management within the Ghana Education Service (GES).
The GES, in a statement issued on Monday, 1 December, rejected Dr Adutwum’s claims, describing them as an attempt to “shift focus from his own shortcomings” in overseeing examinations during his tenure.
The Service also dismissed suggestions that teachers’ allowances had been scrapped, noting that the Controller and Accountant-General’s Department had already clarified the reasons behind delayed payments for November.
The GES further emphasised that the 2025 WASSCE was administered under strengthened security measures, including strict supervision and enhanced invigilation, which led to the arrest of both students and invigilators involved in malpractice.
Speaking on Channel One TV on Monday, Mr Asare lamented the constant political interference that emerges each time national examination results are released.
“It is unfortunate that, as usual, the matter has been politicised,” he said. “We saw the same pattern in 2019 and 2020, and at the time, Eduwatch advised politicians to refrain from dragging WASSCE outcomes into partisan debates. Sadly, some still find it convenient to do politics with these issues, even when little is to be gained.”
He cautioned that such behaviour prevents the public from focusing on the fundamental causes of poor learning outcomes.
“Whenever this politicisation occurs, it overshadows the real issues that citizens must understand,” he said. “It is important that the Ghana Education Service and other key stakeholders ensure the necessary lessons are taken on board and that interventions aimed at improving the current situation are implemented without needless distractions.”
This year’s examination recorded significant setbacks. The results of 6,295 candidates were cancelled for carrying unauthorised materials into examination halls. A further 1,066 candidates are still under investigation; 908 had their subject results withheld, while the results of 158 candidates were withheld entirely.
Core Mathematics recorded the most severe decline. The number of candidates achieving A1–C6 dropped from 305,132 in 2024 to 209,068 in 2025 — a fall of more than 96,000 passes. With a pass rate of only 48.73%, a majority of candidates failed to attain the grades required for progression into tertiary education.
Latest Stories
-
Air Ghana is not for gov’t —Transport Minister
4 minutes -
Princess Umul Hatiyya – The Ghanaian woman who’s travelled to 90 countries
5 minutes -
Police arrest woman over alleged threats against President Mahama in viral TikTok videos
5 minutes -
Harnessing domestic tourism in Ghana
15 minutes -
GNFS contains domestic fire outbreak at Salaga
22 minutes -
President Mahama’s 2024 Promise: Deceit or a delayed reality?
27 minutes -
Paul Twum-Barimah hails High Court decision granting bail to Abronye DC
32 minutes -
Ghana, the smile of Africa returns to the world stage of football
43 minutes -
Ghana, US explore deeper digital cooperation
47 minutes -
NFA boss Kafui Danku launches long-awaited film fund
53 minutes -
Gov’t postpones evacuation of Ghanaians from South Africa amid xenophobic attacks
57 minutes -
Rootz Sistaz secure Women’s Premier League promotion with a game to spare
58 minutes -
Digital Mob Justice: How reckless Social Media destroy marriages, families, and lives
1 hour -
NAIMOS arrests 4 armed suspects along Ankobra River
1 hour -
Court of Appeal restores license of GN Savings and Loans
1 hour