Audio By Carbonatix
The acting Managing Director of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG), Ing. David Asamoah, has announced that independent power producer (IPP), Sunon Asogli will resume operations in the coming weeks.
According to Mr Asamoah, the ECG is making significant progress in resolving the financial issues that led to the power plant's shutdown.
Speaking on JoyNews’ Newsfile on Saturday, November 23, he revealed that ECG has intensified efforts to clear its debts to Sunon Asogli and other producers by implementing a weekly payment schedule instead of the monthly payment structure.
“Sunon Asogli has gone off because of debts. But the good news about Sunon Asogli is that they are going to be back in the coming weeks because we have almost resolved the issue that made them go off,” he said.
“We started paying them on a weekly basis, not monthly.”
Sunon Asogli Power Ltd. ceased operations due to ECG's inability to settle an outstanding debt of $259 million to IPPs.
The company explained that the shutdown was necessary as it could no longer sustain operations without the overdue payments being honoured.
The Finance Minister, Dr Mohammed Amin Adam had announced that Ghana’s power supply is expected to stabilise following a renegotiated agreement between the government and Sunon Asogli.
He said the new deal aims to address the financial disagreements that caused the temporary shutdown.
On the back of this, Mr Asamoah reiterated ECG’s commitment to fulfilling its financial obligations, emphasizing the steps taken to demonstrate good faith.
“I have had that conversation with them and to show good faith, we have started paying to show that we are just not talking but we are acting to what we have agreed going forward," he said.
He further noted that ECG began its payment schedule on October 8, 2024.
“We paid that week, then the following week, but because the payments were insufficient, they [Asogli] decided not to resume operations,” he explained.
Meanwhile, the Chief Executive Officer of the Independent Power Producers, Dr Elikplim Kwabla Apetorgbor, has hinted that three power plants are set to shut down due to debts owed to them.
Speaking on JoyFM’s Top Story on Tuesday, Dr Apetorgbor warned that if the issue remains unresolved, the three key power plants will cease operations by next week.
“If nothing is done by the end of this week, next week, three key power plants will shut down,” he warned.
But ECG says this will not happen based on the steps it has taken so far.
Latest Stories
-
Arrest and denial of bail being used to intimidate opposition voices — Egyapa Mercer
3 minutes -
GN Savings & Loans: Banking sector clean-up could’ve been managed better – Bobby Banson
22 minutes -
National Chief Imam urges Ghanaian pilgrims to uphold discipline and unity ahead of 2026 Hajj
28 minutes -
Government owes GN Bank GH¢300m in unpaid interim payment certificates — Dr Ndoum
45 minutes -
Fernandes named Premier League player of season
45 minutes -
BoG failed in its supervisory role in GN Bank crisis — Senyo Hosi
49 minutes -
Mahama cuts sod for Bole College of Education, unveils major development projects for Savannah Region
1 hour -
NDC tightens control over media representation
1 hour -
GN Savings licence revocation came as a shock – Dr Kweku Ndoum
1 hour -
GN Bank was not insolvent before downgrade and licence revocation – Kweku Ndoum
1 hour -
US tells foreigners seeking green cards: Return to your countries to apply
1 hour -
Trump says he will not attend son Donald Trump Jr.’s wedding
1 hour -
Without discipline, Ghana risks a return to IMF – CPS Director warns
2 hours -
Minority caucus demands immediate laying of BoG accounts before Parliament
2 hours -
Black Sherif takes victory lap to Telecel Ghana HQ after 27th TGMA sweep
2 hours