Audio By Carbonatix
At least 18 people were killed and 30 others injured after a series of attacks by suspected female suicide bombers in Nigeria's northeastern Borno state on Saturday, the head of the local state emergency management agency said.
Borno is at the centre of a 15-year Islamist insurgency that has killed thousands of people and displaced millions more. Although the Nigerian military has degraded the capabilities of the militants, they still carry out deadly attacks against civilians and security targets.
Barkindo Saidu, director general of the Borno State Emergency Management Agency, said suspected suicide bombers separately attacked a wedding, funeral and hospital, killing and injuring several people in the town of Gwoza.
Saidu said 18 deaths had been confirmed, a toll that included children, adults and pregnant women.
"The degree of injuries ranges from abdominal ruptures, skull fractures, and limb fractures," he said.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Borno state police were not immediately available for comment.
Boko Haram and its splinter group, Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), are the most active militant groups in Borno, a large swathe of rural hinterland the size of Ireland.
Latest Stories
-
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Anan Ankomah
45 seconds -
Harvard appoints former BoG Governor Ernest Addison as senior research fellow
2 minutes -
Sammy Gyamfi warns youth exclusion could threaten mining’s social licence
3 minutes -
Mining communities must not be left without social amenities – Sammy Gyamfi
8 minutes -
National Mining Dialogue 2026: We must remain independent in reporting on mining — GJA President
15 minutes -
Social licence must be reimagined as a development compact with the youth – Sammy Gyamfi
17 minutes -
Give indigenous landowners control to curb irresponsible mining – Dr Nana Kwao Adarkwa
25 minutes -
Interior Minister urges religious leaders to protect Ghana’s tradition of tolerance
26 minutes -
In Pictures: Dignitaries, stakeholders gather for National Mining Dialogue 2026
33 minutes -
BoG inaugurates Financial Advisory Council to drive non-interest banking in Ghana
36 minutes -
Mineral right is a privilege, not an absolute right – Minerals Commission
36 minutes -
Ablakwa seeks Russian support for Africa-led fight against Sahel extremism
48 minutes -
Host mining communities are partners in development, not obstacles – GJA President
50 minutes -
Ghana to sign 5 new petroleum agreements soon – Energy Minister
50 minutes -
GJA President urges Ghana to weigh environmental and social costs alongside mining revenues
1 hour