Audio By Carbonatix
Some traders at the Ho Central Market in the Volta Region are appealing for clarification and intervention from municipal and national authorities regarding an ongoing decongestion exercise they describe as abrupt and distressing.
On Monday, June 9, several stalls located at the front of the market were removed as part of what has been described as a decongestion operation.
According to some affected traders, the exercise took them by surprise and, they claim, was carried out without prior notice or official communication.
Speaking to journalist Solomon Ahiable, some traders expressed frustration over the manner of the exercise.
“If the government wants to decongest, they should do it through the appropriate channels,” one trader said. “We need to be treated with dignity and given alternatives.”
Another trader noted that they had previously been told relocation would happen only if space became available inside the market. “So far, no space has been offered,” the trader added. “Our livelihoods are affected.”
A source at the Ho Municipal Assembly, who asked not to be named, indicated that the Assembly had not officially sanctioned any independent action and emphasised the importance of coordinated enforcement using the Assembly’s task force.
The former Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), Divine Bosson, acknowledged the broader need for decongestion but expressed concern over what he described as a lack of transparency and community engagement in the current effort.
MyJoyOnline understands that the Market Queen, Rejoice Norvixoxo, has been involved in facilitating the exercise.
She has since confirmed organising the removal of the stalls, explaining that her aim is to improve order around the market and citing similar initiatives in other parts of the country.
The Market Queen dismissed allegations of personal bias or favouritism and said that the traders involved have often rejected engagement efforts. She added that verbal abuse from some affected individuals had complicated the process.
Responding to the concerns, Ho Municipal Assembly Coordinating Director, Henry Yao Amesimeku, stated that the exercise is part of an effort to reduce congestion and ensure safe access in and around the market area.
He refuted suggestions that unauthorised individuals were involved in the enforcement, insisting that the operation was carried out solely by the Assembly’s task force.
However, some traders have continued to voice concerns about limited space within the main market structure, which they say has left them with few options but to trade at the periphery since the market was reconstructed in 2016.
While the decongestion initiative continues, affected traders are calling on authorities to engage them more directly and ensure that any relocation measures come with adequate planning and support.
Efforts to obtain a comment from the current MCE, Steven Adom, were unsuccessful as of press time, as calls and messages to his phone went unanswered.
Latest Stories
-
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
2 minutes -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
9 minutes -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
43 minutes -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
46 minutes -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
1 hour -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
1 hour -
This week on The Career Trail
2 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
2 hours -
“I stepped back from politics for my husband to continue the journey” – Sammi Awuku’s wife
2 hours -
Ghana will receive final IMF cash of US$318 million immediately after July board approval – Mission Chief
2 hours -
Arthur Legacy, CAA Base partner to educate players on transfers, branding
2 hours -
Midie: Children wade through mud daily to go to school
2 hours -
GN Savings and Loans case is not over – Banking consultant
2 hours -
Oh Why, Honourable Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin?
2 hours -
MoGCSP inaugurates, swears in Technical Working Group for new National Plan of Action on elimination of human trafficking
2 hours