Two fishermen, who robbed a trader of his two mobile phones valued at ¢170.00 and ¢120.00 have been sentenced to 10 years imprisonment each, by an Accra Circuit Court.
Joseph Tetteh, 21, and Daniel Lomotey, 20, were found guilty on the charge of robbery.
The court presided over Rosemary Baah Torsu sentenced them at the end of the trial.
Prosecuting, Chief Inspector Martin Adu Acheampong said the complainant, Akwasi Owusu resides at Chorkor Chemuana while the convicts live at Lantemame in Chorkor, an Accra suburb.
According to Chief Acheampong, the complainant trades in phones and on January 25, this year, at about 12noon, went to Mamprobi-Kaneshie Trotro station area to sell phones.
Prosecution said while there, Tetteh and Lomotey rushed on the complainant and started beating him without any provocation.
He said Tetteh then pulled out a pair of scissors from his pocket in an attempt to stab the complainant but it landed on Lomotey’s hand.
The prosecution said the two convicts, however, managed to rob the complainant of his two mobile phones and cash of ¢170.00.
The Prosecution said Tetteh threw the snatched phone to one Ansah Commey, an accomplice who ran away with them.
He said “However luck eluded the accused persons when a witness in this case who was then in charge of an ambulance vehicle spotted the accused persons and went to the aid of the complainant and had the accused arrested and sent to the Police Station”.
He said during investigations, an informant led the police to Chorkor where a Samsung galaxy 870 phone was retrieved from Ansah Commey but he escaped arrest.
“Accused persons in their caution statements admitted the offence,” the prosecution added.
- Social media users react to DSP Azugu’s alleged role in assault on Citi FM journalist
- ASEPA calls for the removal of GJA President, Affail Monney
- Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
- NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
- Akufo-Addo and his NPP government are reducing Ghana to a police state – Haruna Iddrisu
- We have not failed humanity by building prison infrastructure – Church of Pentecost
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Francis Xavier-Sosu: Eid-ul-Fitr reflections – Human rights and security implications, the case of Wesley Girls’ and the Methodist Church
- Education Minister engages stakeholders of Christian Mission Schools over Wesley Girls’ brouhaha
- Heavy downpour renders Damongo residents homeless
Nigerian army denies Boko Haram Eid donation reports
Caleb Kudah didn’t breach Code of Ethics – GJA General Secretary
2 jailed 26 years over attempted robbery
Dzata Cement denies claims of selling product GH¢30 per bag
Citi FM journalist gained access to National Security premises under false pretence – Chief Director
Council of States donates to inpatients of Bole Hospital
Top scientists question the need for Covid-19 booster shots
Akufo-Addo visits France, Belgium and South Africa as part of post-Covid-19 engagements
Today’s front pages: Friday, May 14, 2021
NSMQ2021: Perfect ‘salah’ gift as Tamale SHS wins maiden Northern Zonal Championship
Coach Paa Kwasi Fabin names 27-man Black Meteors squad to face Japan
Real Madrid win to keep title dream alive
GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
Liverpool boost top four hopes with win at Man Utd
Sancho and Haaland score doubles as Dortmund win German Cup