The Black Princesses of Ghana booked their place in the semifinal of the WAFU Zone B Women’s U-20 Cup of Nations following another emphatic win in Group A on Saturday afternoon.
Two goals from Maafia Nyame and another from Stella Nyamekye ensured Yusif Baisigi’s side secured all three points against Ivory Coast to top the group.
Just like in their opening game against Benin, Ghana should have scored more than three goals at the Baba Yara Stadium but their sloppiness and poor decision-making in the final third led them down.
Nyame opened the scoring in the 14th minute of the game, connecting well with a cross from Wasima Mohammed to put the Black Princesses in the lead.
The Faith Ladies forward then set up Stella Nyamekye for the game’s second and double the lead for Ghana seven minutes later.
Several attempts to add a third before the break were far from being fruitful with the Ivorians being resilient at the back.
The Ivorians got a goal back eight minutes after recess with Deperou Digbeu scoring from a rebound to give the home team on a day a lifeline.
However, Maafia Nyame turned up to thwart any attempts of a comeback from Ivory Coast as she scored her second and Ghana’s third to make it 3-1 and ensure victory for the Black Princesses.
The win on Saturday means Ghana advance to the last four of the competition and will come up against the second-placed team from Group B (either Nigeria or Burkina).
Hasaacas Ladies’ Success Ameyaa was named the Player of the Match at the end of the game.
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: I am here for Ghanaians, not NPP or NDC – Stonebwoy
- GPL 2023/24: Hearts of Oak beat 10-man Nsoatreman; Aduana beat Medeama
- Ghanaian youngster Raymond Anokye Asante scores in back-to-back games after injury return
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw
- Playback: The Law discusses how to avoid contempt of court
- D-Black’s TV show, Uncut, hits the screens in November
- Leaked tape scandal: Supt. George Asare invites 3 witnesses to testify against IGP
- Radio Ada journalist on trial over publication of fake news about McDan is dead
- Kwame Dadzie: Our celebrities should stage ‘demo’ on creative arts matters too