Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Communication, Digital Technology and Innovations, Samuel Nartey George, has assured Ghanaians of a significant reduction in data charges by the end of 2025.
Addressing participants at this year’s World Telecommunications and Information Society Day celebration in Accra, Mr George revealed that a comprehensive roadmap had already been developed to guide this initiative.
According to the Minister, the roadmap emerged from the work of a multi-stakeholder committee formed in February 2025, which included representatives from telecom operators, the National Communications Authority (NCA), and other key sector actors.
He noted that the committee worked tirelessly for 13 days without drawing on public funds.
“Based on that roadmap, I made the Director-General of the NCA and the regulator engage with stakeholders on what we could do in the immediate, medium, and long terms,” Mr George stated.
Reaffirming his commitment, he added, “So to citizens of this country, my promise is that by the end of this year, we will see data prices drop, and I remain committed to it. We will deliver on that. I trust the process.”
Reflecting on recent social media reactions to his earlier remarks on data pricing, the Minister, who also serves as Member of Parliament for Ningo-Prampram, said his comments had been widely misinterpreted.
“I have been trending over the weekend on Twitter, not necessarily for my looks or my work, but whether orchestrated or otherwise, people think that data prices must be cheaper by the stroke of my pen,” he remarked with a touch of humour.
Mr George went on to stress the importance of a data-driven approach to reform, disclosing that the Ministry had engaged the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) to conduct an independent assessment of Ghana’s telecom tariffs.
“This will allow the ministry to align the ITU’s report with that of the NCA and take an informed policy decision,” he explained.
He concluded by underscoring a balanced approach to regulation, saying, “I will not give directives that will affect the industry. What I will do is consult with industry and stakeholders and make decisions that protect investments in the country. I will also ensure that customers have the best quality of service and at prices they can afford.”
Latest Stories
-
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
59 minutes -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
2 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
3 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
3 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
3 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
3 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
3 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
4 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
4 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
4 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
4 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
4 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
5 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
5 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
5 hours