Audio By Carbonatix
The Wenchi District Court has fined five members of a mobile money fraud syndicate GH¢6,000 each, with a six-month custodial sentence as an alternative, for their roles in fraudulent electronic fund transfers.
The convicts, who pleaded guilty, were charged with conspiracy to commit a crime, to wit, defrauding by false pretence. They have since paid the fines in full and were discharged.
The case stems from a complaint filed on April 24, 2025, by the complainant, Sylvester Declerq Mensah, a 54-year-old agriculturalist residing at Wenchi Boadan in the Bono Region.
He reported that unknown persons had swindled him of GH¢130,000 through electronic transactions.
Following the complaint, police launched a full-scale investigation, which led to the arrest of the suspects on January 18, 2026.
The convicted persons were identified as Edward Amuzu, Kwame Tina (26), Salifu Nurudeen, also known as “El-man” (25), Godfred Acquah, popularly called “Kofi Biggs” or “Agabus” (25), and Maxwell Fosu Kwakye (31). One suspect is currently at large. The convicts are residents of Kasoa, Winneba, and Asin Fosu in the Central Region.
Presenting the facts of the case, the Police Prosecutor, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Samuel Sameji, told the court that the full amount involved in the fraud had been recovered from the accused persons.
Theising the outcome, the presiding judge ordered the police to refund the recovered sum to the complainant.
In passing sentence, the judge, Justice Issah Abdul Wahab, took into account the fact that the convicts were first-time offenders and that there was no evidence they had defrauded any other persons aside from the complainant.
The court accordingly convicted them on their own pleas and imposed fines of GH¢6,000 each, in default six months’ imprisonment.
All five convicts paid the fines in full and were discharged by the court.
Latest Stories
-
Adorable Hearts Foundation spreads love to street children in Valentine outreach
12 seconds -
Mahama rejects removal petitions after CJ finds no prima facie case against EC, OSP leadership
3 minutes -
Hearts of Oak reports South Africa’s Siwelele FC to FIFA over ‘unauthorized’ approach of Hamza Issah
3 minutes -
From Wheat Flour to Pasta: Olam Agri’s formula for Ghana’s food security
12 minutes -
Man dies in galamsey pit collapse at Chirano
14 minutes -
‘I wanted to challenge myself again’ – Andre Ayew on decision to join NAC Breda
16 minutes -
Owusu Bempah blames Kotoko’s struggles on poor management structure
18 minutes -
Peru’s Congress ousts president after four months in office
22 minutes -
Ghana targets up to 300,000 metric tonnes of dry season tomatoes in 3 years – Dumelo
25 minutes -
‘Why create confusion’ – Kurt Okraku on making Black Stars budget public
26 minutes -
Australia bans citizen trying to return from IS camp in Syria
36 minutes -
US says ‘meaningful progress’ made as Ukraine talks enter second day
36 minutes -
Police intercept truck carrying over 3,000 slabs of suspected narcotics; two arrested for bribery
38 minutes -
COCOBOD projects GH¢5m monthly savings after executive pay cuts
39 minutes -
Edem Agbana to petition GES over ‘dehumanising’ colonisation content in JHS social studies textbooks
57 minutes
