The Wa Circuit Court has remanded into prison custody 10 members of separatist group calling itself ‘Western Togoland’ who have been accused of treason felony. They are to reappear on December 9.
The accused persons, led by 93-year-old Togbui Kuogo II, were arrested in Tumu on Sunday for allegedly canvassing for support to create a new country out of Ghana.
Justice Baah Forson Adjapong said, he has no jurisdiction to sit on the case and he was only remanding them for them to be taken to the appropriate court.
Prosecuting, Detective Sergeant Martin K. Debortse, told the court that the accused persons met Wa Naa, Naa Fuseini Seidu Pelpuo IV, at the blind side of the police to seek his support to secede from Ghana.
The group was not given an audience and was driven away from the palace.
The various police District Commanders were then tasked to be on the lookout and to inform the Regional Command whenever the group is spotted.
Last Saturday the police had intelligence that the same group was at the Tumu Kuoro’s palace to inform him and the elders of their intention to fight for their independence from Ghana and they wanted their support.
Based on a tip-off, the police arrested Ismail Dzirakor, 82; Togbu KuogoII, 93; Hordiba Innocent, 68; Michael Hofe, 49 and Umborgarti Samuel 54. The rest are George Lihor Klevor, 49; Mohammed Karim, 45; Kanu Emmanuel, 58 and Maglo Tsey Mawuli, 34.
They were arrested onboard a Hyundai Grace vehicle with registration number GE 8212 – 11.
Detective sergeant Debortse stated that 10 mobile phones, documents, maps of their purported Western Togoland were retrieved from them when they were searched upon arrest.
He revealed that the group also visited a number of palaces including the Yaa-Naa, Bimbila and Bawku Naaba.
- University of Ghana wins $165 million judgement debt case
- Ghanaian musician stripped off pants by military men
- Heir apparent to Yaa Naa Mahama Abubakari Mahama II passes on
- It does not make sense any longer to buy treasury bills – Prof Lord Mensah
- BoG increases policy rate to 22%; cost of borrowing to shoot up significantly
- Pastor cries on TV for forgiveness from best friend he accused of sleeping with his wife
- Key directors, management of UT and Capital banks prosecuted for criminal offences – EOCO, BoG report
- BoG uncovers ¢116.7m untraceable investments of collapsed MFCs, S&Ls and Finance House firms
- NPP writes to Alan Kyerematen, Adorye summoned over ‘Aduro Wo So Health Walk’
- Girl injects herself with boyfriend’s HIV-positive blood “to prove her love”
Sunyani airport reopening will stimulate economic growth, healthcare – Bono Regional Minister
eCedi will not be operated on blockchain technology – BoG
7 arrested for allegedly killing 2 over witchcraft accusation
Bright Simons: Is the Bank of Ghana losing the plot?
Imprisonment of fishers will be enacted in our laws – Fisheries Minister
Former beauty queen Penelope Jones-Mensah supports Dzelukope
Reggae music is not dead – Ras Kuuku
Always have faith in what you do – Sarkodie inspires fans with throwback pictures
Boy, 16, drowns after allegedly insulting river god
Japan urges its young people to drink more to boost economy
Increasing policy rate will not bring down rising inflation – Financial Advisor
As Ghana gets poorer, Ofori-Atta’s Databank gets richer – KKD fumes at company’s role as advisors for some loan transactions
Leave Otto Addo to take a decision on Asamoah Gyan – Elvis Afriyie Ankrah
It is not too late to review Free SHS to ensure quality – Mahama to government
Increasing policy rate to 22% good but cap government borrowing – Finance lecturer to BoG