A 10-year-old girl has drowned in the Naukwao river basin at Koforidua on Tuesday.
The deceased, Nafisa, a class three pupil of King of Kings Preparatory school was carried away by floods after the heavy downpour.
She had closed from school and was on her way home when the incident happened.
Assemblyman for the area, Bernard Acheampong who led a team of police officers and National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) officials to search for the missing girl, said their efforts have yielded no results.
According to him, a resident of the area who attempted to rescue the girl during the early period she drowned, was nearly swept away by the raging waters.
Narrating the incident, the assemblyman said the deceased who was in the company of her younger sister were curious in knowing the severity of the flood.
The ¢16 million Nsukwao drainage facility constructed to end the perennial flooding in the municipality has worsened the plight of residents living close to the facility.
Several buildings and other properties have been destroyed after every heavy downpour.
Residents have criticised the facility, claiming the World Bank-funded project was poorly executed.
They have therefore called for a probe into the project.
- Debt Exchange: 8 banks highly exposed to government bonds, may be hit hardest – Report
- Minority loses censure motion to dismiss Ofori-Atta
- Playback: Parliament determines Ken Ofori-Atta’s fate
- Restructuring Ghana’s Debt: Pay your taxes, reduce size of government – OccupyGhana to Akufo-Addo
- Cedi strengthens further against dollar; $1 now ¢13
- 2023 Budget: 4 key areas that received less allocation than National Cathedral
- Ofori-Atta’s censure motion: Our side didn’t take sitting allowances – Ablakwa
- Driver’s mate killed, 2 in critical condition in gory accident at Gomoa Dominase
- ‘Ajax is getting too small for Mohammed Kudus’ – Inaki Williams
- Kalybos and I will have a child together if we are still single in 2 years – Ahuofe Patri
- Central Tongu MP pledges to support Mafi Anfoe youth to construct bungalow for teachers
- Expect prices of books to increase – GNAAP to schools and parents
- UG Parliament: Majority Caucus petitions Speaker over academic, residential fees increment
- Typhoid vaccine should complement WASH – Dr. Nsiah Asare
- You have to be a fisherman’s girlfriend to purchase his catch – Fish processors
- Censure motions are serious parliamentary business – Abu Jinapor
- KiDi to collaborate with Bollywood star on new track
- Suspension of road toll collection was not done legally – Sulemana Briamah
- Ghanaian adults prefer religious and traditional justice systems to formal one – GSS
- Improving rural education: A teacher is giving hope to pupils of Nkwantapong D/A Primary School
- Kumawood actor Okomfo Kolege tearfully announces wife’s burial date
- I am not prepared to fail – Prof. Addai-Mensah tells union executives at KATH
- Playback: PM Express business edition discuss market confidence risk and debt restructuring programme
- Censure motion will keep Ministers on their toes – Inusah Fuseini
- Qatar 2022: So close yet so far; Black Stars edition