Despite being 33 years old, Barcelona‘s Lionel Messi has shown no signs of slowing down and has continued to set new records in 2019-20.
Messi couldn’t stop Real Madrid from winning the La Liga title, but he has still enjoyed another brilliant season on a personal level.
Below are 11 records the forward has broken in 2019-20.
– Messi sealed the Pichichi (La Liga’s top scorer award) for a record seventh time after netting 25 league goals in 2019-20.
– With 21 assists in 2019-20, Messi overtook Xavi as the player with most assists in a single La Liga season.
– The Argentina international became the first player in the history of La Liga to record 20 goals and 20 assists in a single season.
– Messi now holds the record for the most individual La Liga Player of the Month Awards, with seven.
– He has become the first player to score 20+ goals in 12 consecutive La Liga campaigns.
– In February 2020, he became the first footballer in history to officially hit the 1000 mark for combined goals and assists.
– The 33-year-old made his 43rd appearance in an El Clasico contest in 2020. No Barcelona player has made more appearances against Real Madrid.
– With his goal against Slavia Praha in October 2019, Messi became the first player to score in 15 consecutive Champions League campaigns, dating back to the 2005-06 season.
– He has now scored against 34 different teams in the Champions League, more than any other player in the competition.
– Messi became the first player in the history of Spanish football to reach 500 wins after Barcelona beat Leganes in January 2020.
– The forward broke Cristiano Ronaldo’s record of 34 La Liga hat-tricks with a treble against Mallorca in December 2019, and he’s since moved his total on to 36.
- Four charged for violating restrictions on public gathering at Christ Embassy ‘Pneumatica Night’
- I had sex with a goat, masturbated 6 times a day – Male victim of sexual abuse recounts
- #FixTheCountry protestors counter injunction with #NameAndShame campaign on social media
- What is the big deal? – Brigitte Dzogbenuku on WGHS refusing to let students fast
- Mahama Ayariga acquitted, Opuni ordered to open his defence
- Methodist Church stands by its objection to GES directive to let Muslim students fast – Bishop of Northern Accra Diocese
- Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
- Chief allegedly orders for school to be demolished for his palace at Adumasa
- Ghana takes delivery of 350,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- Prince Philip’s cause of death has been confirmed
Galamsey has not stopped, it’s destroying us; Akufo-Addo must do better – Nhyiaeso MP
Champions League final: Fans should not travel to Turkey, says UK government
European Super League: Nine clubs given financial sanctions by Uefa over breakaway
Power outages: Board’s approval needed for compensation to begin for affected consumers – PURC
PURC to work out compensations for consumers affected by power outages
King Promise announces signing to 5K Records/Sony Music UK
PURC concludes investigation on recent power outages
Some MPs ignore parliamentary duties; always chasing for contracts to survive – Majority Leader fumes
20 arrested in Atewa forest aren’t national security operatives – Oppong Nkrumah
No more compilation of Voters Register from scratch – CODEO recommends to EC
Eno Barony adds her voice to #FixTheCountry campaign
Great Olympics score late to end WAFA’s 6-year home unbeaten run
Nexvelsoft Ultimate Passco mobile app for studying WAEC past questions updates its features
NIC to begin pilot programme to tow broken down vehicles in Accra
EC must review processes leading to 2020 election results collation – Akoto Ampaw