Ghana Football Association (GFA) presidential aspirant George Afriyie has been disqualified from contesting the topmost position in this month’s presidential elections.
Mr Afriyie, per the GFA Elections Committee, did not meet the requirements set out by the committee to be eligible for the elections later this year.
Per the elections guidelines instituted in 2019, a candidate shall have endorsements from five members of the football governing body, and the endorsement shall be from authorised signatories of the said member.
However, Mr Afriyie, it appears, could not get the support of members of the football family as two of his subscribers were either not authorised signatories or did not endorse him at all.
Techiman Eleven Wonders, per the election committee through Nana Ameyaw Manu, swore a statutory declaration that had no reference to Afriyie’s nomination form.
Also, Victory Warriors FC, one of the clubs that endorsed the former FA vice president, was signed by Jeffrey Asare, who is not an authorised signatory of the club.
With these two endorsements expunged, Mr. Afriyie is left with three, which renders his nomination form invalid.
It is unclear if George Afriyie Afriyie will appeal the decision, though those with knowledge of the legal system believe he should have been allowed to amend his subscribers.
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Police arresting protesters without a warrant was unlawful – Inusah Fuseini
- Photos and videos: Protesters hit the street on day 3 of #OccupyJulorbiHouse demonstration
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Organisers of demonstrations must respect the law – Gary Nimako
- Ghana is in a leadership crisis; African leaders lack consciousness – Prof Adu-Gyamfi
- MMALABS signs MoU with Spintex Medical Center to boost quality healthcare
- NPP flagbearer race: Bawumia suspends campaign over ongoing limited registration exercise
- Sharaf Mahama celebrates 26th birthday with donation and reading session with kids
- I’m not the 3rd richest man in Ghana – Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned
- Bob Menendez steps down as US Senate foreign relations chairman after indictment