Audio By Carbonatix
A leading member of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Francis Addai-Nimoh, has strongly criticised the party’s National Council over its decision to fix January 31, 2026, for the election of a new flagbearer ahead of the 2028 general elections.
Speaking on JoyNews’ Upfront on Wednesday, July 2, he described the decision as "bad," "biased," and "unreasonable," arguing that the party needs time to heal and rebuild following what he called a “brutal” defeat in the 2024 general elections.
“We have gone through this election, and just within six months, the Council comes out with a decision for the conduct of presidential primaries—why?” he asked.
“People are going through trauma, people are so much pained, many of our members at the grassroots express the desire that they even wish to get to the other side of the political party. So that decision, for me, is bad, is biased, and unnecessary.”
Mr Addai-Nimoh called on the party leadership to reconsider the decision or halt its implementation altogether, stressing the need for introspection and healing.
“It has to be rescinded by the National Council, or it has to be put on hold… so that we take our time to fix the broken,” he urged.
Reacting to arguments that an early primary would give the eventual flagbearer ample time to campaign and court the sympathy of voters, Mr Addai-Nimoh rejected the rationale as fundamentally flawed.
He cited the example of President John Mahama, who successfully contested the 2012 general elections just months after becoming the National Democratic Congress’ flagbearer.
“Whoever comes up with that reason, it’s a faulty reason, it is untenable,” he said.
“Did John Mahama get enough time in 2012 as flagbearer of the NDC to win the 2012 general election? He became president on July 24, 2012, and in August 2012, he was made the flagbearer. So he had about three months.”
According to him, former Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, who led the NPP in the 2024 elections, had been at the forefront of political activities for 16 years and had campaigned in nearly every constituency in Ghana.
“So the reason that we should elect the flagbearer on January 31 so that the flagbearer can have sufficient time—let’s say, three years—to campaign, for me, is untenable. It's a flawed one,” Mr Addai-Nimoh said.
Latest Stories
-
Free Zones CEO Mary Awusi faces CHRAJ petition over alleged misconduct
6 minutes -
Black Stars legends to headline KN Foundation charity outreach for Nsawam Prison inmates
10 minutes -
2026 World Cup: We want to show we are a top nation – Semenyo
11 minutes -
GTA CEO Maame Efua Houadjeto enstooled as Safohen of Bentsir No. 1 Asafo Company
14 minutes -
The silent exodus: Why quiet quitting is the new survival strategy in Ghana’s classrooms
22 minutes -
Dr John Dawson Writes: Ghana’s Telecom Gamble
36 minutes -
BoG warns against weak financial market documentation
47 minutes -
WHO to hold emergency committee meeting as Ebola death toll rises to 131
56 minutes -
Ablekuma North Ranked Ghana’s Best-Performing District in Multidimensional Poverty Index
1 hour -
GIPS hails new value for money legislation, urges swift passage of Procurement Practicing Bill
1 hour -
ASAC 2026: The finish line through the lens
1 hour -
Agenda 111 should not be abandoned because of change in government – Dr Nsiah-Asare
1 hour -
Sports Minister Kofi Adams challenges Queiroz to get best out of Black Stars
1 hour -
Ghana must tread cautiously on the Gold Fields Tarkwa Lease debate
1 hour -
Agenda 111 was properly funded and designed to address healthcare gaps — Dr Nsiah-Asare insists
2 hours