Audio By Carbonatix
The teenager who beheaded a teacher outside the school in a Paris suburb where he taught had approached pupils in the street and asked them to point out his victim, anti-terrorism prosecutor Jean-Francois Ricard said on Saturday.
Police shot dead the 18-year-old attacker, who was born in Russia, minutes after he murdered 47-year-old history teacher Samuel Paty in broad daylight in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine on Friday.
A photograph of the teacher’s body, accompanied by a message claiming responsibility posted on Twitter, was discovered on the assailant’s phone, found near his body. Ricard said the Twitter account belonged to the attacker.
The post was removed swiftly by Twitter, which said it had suspended the account because it violated the company’s policy.
Ricard quoted the message as saying: “In the name of Allah the most gracious, the most merciful, ... to (President Emmanuel) Macron, leader of the infidels, I have executed one of your hell-hounds who dared to belittle (Prophet) Mohammad.”
Earlier this month Paty had shown his pupils cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad in a class on freedom of expression, angering a number of Muslim parents. Muslims believe that any depiction of the Prophet is blasphemous.
The attacker, of Chechen origin, had been living in the town of Evreux northwest of Paris, and was not previously known to the intelligence services, Ricard told a news conference.
The killing shocked the country and carried echoes of an attack five years ago on the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo. Prime Minister Jean Castex said it bore the hallmarks of Islamist terrorism.
“I want to share with you my total indignation. Secularism, the backbone of the French Republic, was targeted in this vile act,” Castex said.
Unions, anti-racism groups and Charlie Hebdo are organising a gathering in central Paris on Sunday to commemorate the murdered teacher.
A national tribute will be organised for Wednesday, Macron’s office said.
‘Between Hammer and Anvil’
Four close relatives of the attacker were detained soon after the attack. Five more were detained overnight, including the father of a pupil at Paty’s school, College du Bois d’Aulne, and an acquaintance of the pupil’s father known to the intelligence services, the anti-terrorism prosecutor said.
A tenth person was placed in custody in connection with the attack later on Saturday, BFM TV said, citing judicial sources.
In the days after the lesson on freedom of expression, the pupil’s father recorded several videos in which he branded the teacher a thug and called for him to be fired. In one, he urged others to “join forces and say ‘stop, don’t touch our kids’”.
The videos where shared on social media.
The half-sister of the pupil’s father had joined Islamic State in Syria in 2014, the prosecutor said. It was not immediately clear if the teenage attacker knew either the pupil’s father or the father’s acquaintance.
Latest Stories
-
High costs, no water and unemployment threatening industrial growth, says AGI president
15 seconds -
Gov’t to raise GH₵30bn through syndicated domestic bond to bail COCOBOD – Sagnarigu MP
9 minutes -
Brake failure claims life of trader in Kaase Gas tanker crash
13 minutes -
Majority, Minority clash over bill to revert NIB name to BNI and overhaul National Security structure
19 minutes -
Water crisis disrupting production – AGI president warns industrialisation at risk
25 minutes -
Office of Ga Mantse breaks silence on accident
26 minutes -
COCOBOD debt exceeded assets under NPP – Otokunor
32 minutes -
Samson Ahi labels Sehwi Wiawso cocoa protest politically engineered; points fingers at NPP
37 minutes -
Adongo accuses Akufo-Addo’s appointees of mismanaging COCOBOD; says they need ‘whipping’
42 minutes -
Trade Ministry denounces terror attack on Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso
48 minutes -
Adongo dismisses COCOBOD bailout call, blames crisis on past Akufo-Addo government
53 minutes -
GRA prepares to meet GH¢360bn revenue target for 2028
1 hour -
We must refuse to be intimidated – Veep Prof Opoku-Agyemang challenges women
1 hour -
GRA to enforce Physical and Electronic Devices Act this year – Commissioner-General
1 hour -
NPP should be the last to comment on cocoa issues – Otokunor
1 hour
