Audio By Carbonatix
Kumasi City Markets Limited, Managers of the Kejetia Market, one of the landmark trading centres in the West-African sub-Region, has announced that the facility will close at 7pm from June 1, this year.
Managing Director, Mr Kofi Dufour Addai said the decision was to reduce the cost of operation, and also enhance the security and safety of traders at the facility.
“No trading activities could go on after the said time when the directive is implemented,” he told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Kumasi.
Currently, trading and related commercial activities are allowed within the ultra-modern market between 6 am to 7 pm.
Mr Dufour Addai emphasized that the managers would not permit entrance into the facility by either the public or commercial vehicles from June 1 and cautioned the traders and public to endeavour to comply with the directive when brought into force as the managers would not countenance any form of indiscipline.
The Managing Director stated that the decision had been communicated to the traders to inform them of the impending changes.
The latest development comes in the wake of the recent fire outbreak at the Kejetia Market, destroying some merchandise.
The incident, which is being investigated, led to the temporary closure of the facility to allow fire experts and the police to assess the situation.
The state-of-the-art Market covers the first phase of the Kejetia/Central Market Re-development Project, which commenced in 2015, to replace the ageing open-space Kumasi Central Market, considered as one of the biggest trading hubs in the sub-Region.
It was inaugurated in 2018, and has about 8,420 stores, a clinic, a police station, a social and recreational centre, ICT centre and a post office, a fire post, banks and a crèche.
Latest Stories
-
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
7 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
9 minutes -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
9 minutes -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
10 minutes -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
14 minutes -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
16 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
18 minutes -
Ghana Card is a critical national asset – Interior Minister
44 minutes -
Northern Regional police arrest 24 suspects, retrieve suspected Indian hemp and Tramadol
1 hour -
Speaker urges Commonwealth unity for global stability and security
1 hour -
From GH¢155 billion a year to GH¢500 billion a month! The amazing story of how interoperability in 2018 has driven Ghana’s mobile Money Growth
1 hour -
Ghana Card is gateway to national services – Interior Minister as NIA marks 20 years in operation
1 hour -
Torrential rain submerges 50 houses in Cape Coast
2 hours -
OLAG crowned winners of ACE Spoken Word Contest
2 hours -
Medical and Dental Council worried over growing misconduct complaints against health professionals
2 hours