Audio By Carbonatix
President John Mahama has disclosed that 1,200 excavators imported into the country are currently undergoing a rigorous permitting and clearance process led by the Ministry of Transport.
Speaking at the Presidential Media Encounter at the Jubilee House on Wednesday, the President said the initiative forms part of efforts to tighten regulation of earth-moving equipment and prevent their diversion into illegal small-scale mining activities, popularly known as galamsey.
“In collaboration with the Ministry of Transport, the Ministry of Finance, GRA Customs Division and the Ports and Harbors Authority, we’ve instituted a system for the proactive tracking of all imported excavators and earthmoving equipment from the port of entry,” he explained on September 10.
Out of the 1,200 machines, 1,015 have so far been registered, with 647 already fitted with tracking devices. The Minerals Commission is spearheading the installation of the devices, while the DVLA oversees registration. The President noted that another 315 tracking devices are expected to arrive by September 12, 2025, to step up the monitoring effort.
He added that about 600 excavators remain at the Tema Port, awaiting clearance under the new regime, which requires approval from the Transport Ministry, Customs, the DVLA and the Minerals Commission before the machines can be released.
Mr. Mahama stressed that the multi-agency system will ensure accountability, close regulatory loopholes and strengthen Ghana’s fight against galamsey.
“This is to make sure that every single piece of equipment is accounted for, from the moment it lands at our ports to where it is finally deployed,” he said.
The announcement comes amid growing public concern as Joy Research found an influx of earthmoving equipment into the country and their potential use in unregulated mining operations that continue to damage the environment and pollute water bodies.
Latest Stories
-
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
1 hour -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
2 hours -
ORAL delivering results, more cases ahead – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
3 hours -
SpaceX files for IPO that could make Elon Musk a trillionaire
4 hours -
Spain midfielder Fermin Lopez ruled out of World Cup
4 hours -
Major-minor nations split in World Cup qualifying
4 hours -
Players to cut short French Open interviews in pay row
4 hours -
NATARAJ Art competition inspires young creativity in Ghana
4 hours -
Empty rooms and FIFA cancellations – US hotels fear World Cup washout
5 hours -
Prince William celebrates ‘amazing night’ as Villa fans party
5 hours -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns
5 hours -
Money can be traced in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ case – Kow Essuman fires back at Deputy AG
5 hours -
25/26 UEFA Europa League: Unai Emery leads Aston Villa to first European trophy in 44 years
5 hours -
Southampton lose appeal against play-off expulsion
5 hours -
SkySat Technologies, Konica Minolta launch VIP Experience in Accra
5 hours