Audio By Carbonatix
Gunmen killed three people and abducted a Catholic priest and several others during an early morning attack on the clergyman's residence in northern Nigeria's Kaduna state, church and police sources said on Sunday.
Saturday's assault in Kauru district highlights persistent insecurity in the region, and came days after security services rescued all 166 worshippers abducted in attacks by gunmen on two churches elsewhere in Kaduna.
Such attacks have drawn the attention of U.S. President Donald Trump, who has accused Nigeria's government of failing to protect Christians, a charge Abuja denies. U.S. forces struck what they described as terrorist targets in northwestern Nigeria on December 25.
The Catholic Diocese of Kafanchan named the kidnapped clergyman as Nathaniel Asuwaye, parish priest of Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Karku, and said 10 other people were abducted.
Three residents were killed during the attack, which began at about 3:20 a.m. (0220 GMT), the diocese said in a statement.
A Kaduna police spokesperson confirmed the incident, but said five people had been abducted in total and that the three people killed were members of the security forces.
"Security agents exchanged gunfire with the bandits, killed some of them, and unfortunately two soldiers and a police officer lost their lives," he said.
Rights group Amnesty International said in a statement on Sunday that Nigeria's security crisis was "increasingly getting out of hand". It accused the government of "gross incompetence" and failure to protect civilians as gunmen kill, abduct and terrorise rural communities across several northern states.
A presidency spokesperson could not immediately be reached for comment.
Pope Leo, during his weekly address to the faithful in St. Peter's Square, expressed solidarity with the victims of recent attacks in Nigeria.
"I hope that the competent authorities will continue to act with determination to ensure the security and protection of every citizen's life," Leo said.
Latest Stories
-
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
21 minutes -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
25 minutes -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
38 minutes -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
53 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
54 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
54 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
54 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
58 minutes -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
1 hour -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
1 hour -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
1 hour -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
2 hours -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
2 hours -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
2 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours