President of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), Patrice Motsepe, has stated that the continent’s dream of producing a world champion is closer to reality than ever before following Morocco’s semi final run at the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
The North Africans became the first African country to make the semi finals of the World Cup and finished 4th in Qatar.
Speaking at the 2022 CAF Outstanding Achievement Award held in Kigali, Rwanda, Motsepe said Morocco’s fairytale run given him real belief that an African country can win the World Cup in the near future.
Morocco at the 2022 World Cup made history, the national team of Morocco was not just playing for the people of Morocco, but the entire Africa.”
“Their historic performance and success is an encouragement, is a motivation for everyone on the African continent.”
“Africa has got a proud history of producing some of the best players we have seen at the highest level in football, in Europe and elsewhere.”
“One of our main objective is to make sure that in the near future, a nation from Africa will be victorious at the highest level in the world and be champions of the FIFA World Cup.”
Africa will have 9 countries representing at the 2026 World Cup after FIFA expanded the competition from 32 teams to 48 teams for the tournament to be joint hosted by the USA, Canada and Mexico.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- Digitalisation to help reduce ECG’s commercial losses – Samuel Mahama
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah