Member of Parliament (MP) for Essikado-Ketan, Mr Joe Ghartey, has officially informed President Akufo-Addo of his intention to contest in the New Patriotic Party (NPP) Presidential primaries slated for November, 2023.
Mr Ghartey who was a former Attorney-General and Minister of Justice paid a courtesy call on the President at the Jubilee House, in Accra, to inform him of his Presidential ambition.
Speaking in an interview with the Ghana News Agency, Mr Ghartey said the call afforded him the opportunity to, among other things, thank the President for the confidence reposed in him during his first term of office when he found him worthy of serving as the Minister of Railways Development.
Mr Ghartey assured the President that he and his team would run a decent campaign for the flagbearership position, and work hard for the party to retain power beyond 2024.
Mr Ghartey made it clear that he would take immediate action if any member of his team became wayward and attacked others unnecessarily.
He thanked the President for taking time off his busy schedule to meet with him and wished him and the Government well.
President Akufo-Addo wished Mr Ghartey well saying his desire was to ensure that NPP retained power in 2024 and beyond.
He said his role was to ensure a fair playing field and was prepared to support anyone who emerged victorious in the primaries, while calling for a decent campaign.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Livestream: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government
- GOIL supports Appiatse Disaster Fund
- Headmasters can’t stop students from reporting to school over prospectus – Education Minister tells parents
- It’s been an insightful experience – Funke Akindele breaks silence after losing elections